William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I am going to start building my first computer and i am looking for advice on what to get. it is going to be for media editing and gaming.

What I know(think) i want:

60gb ssd for the boot drive
8+ gb ram preferably more.
2tb harddrive
6+ core processor (AMD)
great linux compatible sound card
good linux compatible video card with hdmi outs

What I'm not sure about:
A 120 gb+ ssd for games and Windows 7 (will this keep the viruses from torrents away from windows)

The other big thing is i have a 1993 macintosh monitor with a 16 inch screen I would like to put the computer in it an atx motherboard will fit in it but the screen, i need a 16 inch lcd montitor that I can plop in it, where could i get a component monitor or would i have to buy a full monitor and disassemble it.

i will figure out my budget after suggestions from you guys.

g-unit1111

Titan
Not knowing a budget will make it difficult to suggest a system, but I will tell you that you shouldn't blow 1/3 of it on storage - two drives will be more than enough. And four good cores will be far better than six crappy ones.

However, that case will not accommodate a full ATX system - you can try but it will pretty much be impossible. You'll need to start from scratch.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
the case should fit a full atx system the only problem might be from a video card the back is huge, if it wont how much will I lose going to a mini atx. I will get inside dimensions this afternoon or tommorrow. My budget is around 1500$ and it has to be ubuntu studio compatable.

g-unit1111

Titan

I don't really know Ubuntu that well so I can't help you there.

g-unit1111

Titan

Depends on what CPU you go with. You can certainly use anything you want on an mATX build - mATX X79 motherboards are out there. ITX - not so sure, I haven't really done any ITX builds.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you must go AMD, go with a 9XX motherboard - anything less and it won't be able to handle the CPU. I haven't heard good things about FX / Zambezi so I haven't tried it on any build yet.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
inside dimensions
back 13x10"
sides 10x10 flat/ 10x12 bumped out
top 8.5x 13 flat / 12x13bumped out
bottom 10x 13

monitor area excluded.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Most of my media is music and photo editing and creation, but i do some video editing. The sound card that i am looking at is the m-audio audio phile 4 in 4 out or 10 in 10 out. Games on Ubuntu do suck royally, which is why i am getting a 64 bit windows 7 for games on the ssd. The rest of the build looks pretty good I would put more ram, 2x8gb DDR3. The case is not needed as it's going into a 1993 macintosh monitor case. The games I play on my really old computer are Doom 3, Rage, and Dues Ex , Dues Ex Human Revolution and Invisible War. D3 and the old dues ex's run good but rage and human revolution don't which is half the reason I am looking to build my own now and the other half is I tried using the Ubuntu studio programs on my home work computer and it just doesn't work. It is not the operating system because Ubuntu and Lubuntu run really good on it.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
1- If i was just listening to music I would use on board sound but on board sound doesn't have xlr inputs or midi so I couldn't add my own flair to my tracks with my own recordings.

2- its not a 1993 case its a 1993 monitor with the monitor part removed so its empty see above for dimmensions. i can fit 4 200 mm fans so it should be good for cooling.

3- i never said it didn't

4- I haven't had the computer for it but my friend does and it has 8gb ram and it slows down after a few hours might be cooling though.

G

1- yes get a M-audio card

2- nice mod

3- even though editing does make use of multi threaded cpus most of what is know are about windows based programs. if you are using linux based programs check that they are optimized the same for multi threading like handbrake; if not an i5 would do.

4- actually if you're gaming and then need to use unbuntu studio you may find it advantageous to run it as a VM so you don't have to reboot. 16 gigs will definitely come in handy then.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I'm not sure about multi threading but it should and if it doesn't in at most 6 months it will.
one would probably run in a VM I use wine for my home working pc to play older windowss games, doom 3 and the expansions as well as all three of the dues ex's, on ubuntu. Human revolution is the only one that has any problems and it's probably not wine but the dul core 2.5ghz proccessor and onboard graphics.