Hunter's Flare?

Shane

Two questions.

1.) Is there an upper limit where flare just isn't going to work on
higher level players? Say a 30 Hunter using flare to find a 60 rogue?

2.) When you find a rogue in a non contested zone and you aren't PvP
enabled; will this PvP enable you?

Thanks

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Two questions.
>
> 1.) Is there an upper limit where flare just isn't going to work on
> higher level players? Say a 30 Hunter using flare to find a 60 rogue?

As far as I know, flare is a GUARENTEED way of seeing a stealthed person,
counterbalanced by the fact that it doesn't have a very large range or
radius or even duration.

I also suspect it's a very, very good way to make them very, very pissed at
you.

> 2.) When you find a rogue in a non contested zone and you aren't PvP
> enabled; will this PvP enable you?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. On the one hand, its effect is completely
passive, as the person in question doesn't ACTUALLY lose stealth...it just
lets you see them. On the other hand....it....lets you see them. I'd hazard
that it wouldn't flag you, but I've never used flare in a pvp situation
before, so I really can't say for sure.

-[Blayde]-

"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Two questions.
>
> 1.) Is there an upper limit where flare just isn't going to work on
> higher level players? Say a 30 Hunter using flare to find a 60 rogue?

I defer to other's answers on this one.

> 2.) When you find a rogue in a non contested zone and you aren't PvP
> enabled; will this PvP enable you?

Yes. I'm on a PvE server and firing this to reveal a rogue did indeed flag
me PvP active. I remember this incident since I hadn't expected it to do
that and I was unprepared for the rogue to be able to attack immediately
upon being revealed, which he did.

> Thanks

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in

> Honestly, I'm not really sure. On the one hand, its effect is
> completely passive, as the person in question doesn't ACTUALLY lose
> stealth...it just lets you see them. On the other hand....it....lets
> you see them. I'd hazard that it wouldn't flag you, but I've never
> used flare in a pvp situation before, so I really can't say for sure.

You don't flare in PvP? Why in the hell not?!

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Nalybuites' nalyubuites
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net> wrote in

> Yes. I'm on a PvE server and firing this to reveal a rogue did indeed
> flag me PvP active. I remember this incident since I hadn't expected
> it to do that and I was unprepared for the rogue to be able to attack
> immediately upon being revealed, which he did.

I beg to differ ... it never flags me when I use it. The only way to flag
without /pvp is by doing damage to someone PvP-enabled, and flares doesn't
do any damage.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Nalybuites' nalyubuites
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> "A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net> wrote in
>
> > Yes. I'm on a PvE server and firing this to reveal a rogue did indeed
> > flag me PvP active. I remember this incident since I hadn't expected
> > it to do that and I was unprepared for the rogue to be able to attack
> > immediately upon being revealed, which he did.
>
> I beg to differ ... it never flags me when I use it. The only way to flag
> without /pvp is by doing damage to someone PvP-enabled, and flares doesn't
> do any damage.

While I don't know about flare specifically, that is an incorrect statement.
You can become PVP flagged for other reasons than just doing damage. Healing
a PVP flagged person will flag you. Buffing a PVP flagged person will flag
you. Debuffing a PVP flagged opponent will flag you.

Whether flare counts as a debuff, I don't know. I haven't gotten around to
playing a hunter yet.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> "A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net> wrote in
>
>> Yes. I'm on a PvE server and firing this to reveal a rogue did indeed
>> flag me PvP active. I remember this incident since I hadn't expected
>> it to do that and I was unprepared for the rogue to be able to attack
>> immediately upon being revealed, which he did.
>
> I beg to differ ... it never flags me when I use it. The only way to flag
> without /pvp is by doing damage to someone PvP-enabled, and flares doesn't
> do any damage.
>
> --
> ~ Cyde Weys ~
>
> Nalybuites' nalyubuites
> Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

You may beg to differ but it did indeed flag me. I remember this incident
very well.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

>> Honestly, I'm not really sure. On the one hand, its effect is
>> completely passive, as the person in question doesn't ACTUALLY lose
>> stealth...it just lets you see them. On the other hand....it....lets
>> you see them. I'd hazard that it wouldn't flag you, but I've never
>> used flare in a pvp situation before, so I really can't say for sure.
>
> You don't flare in PvP? Why in the hell not?!

Because I don't PvP.

-[Blayde]-
"Sherlock and Watson are out camping, when Sherlock wakes Watson up.

'Watson,' he asks, 'look at the stars and tell me what you can deduce.'

'Well, Holmes,' replies Watson, 'there are billions of tiny points of light
that tell me that the universe is an incredibly huge place, and the thought
is both humbling and mystifying.'

'No, you fool!' counters the great detective. 'Someone has stolen our
tent!'"

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001

"A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
A4Ahe.1688$sb5.720@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

> "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> > "A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net> wrote in
> >
> >> Yes. I'm on a PvE server and firing this to reveal a rogue did indeed
> >> flag me PvP active. I remember this incident since I hadn't expected
> >> it to do that and I was unprepared for the rogue to be able to attack
> >> immediately upon being revealed, which he did.
> >
> > I beg to differ ... it never flags me when I use it. The only way to
flag
> > without /pvp is by doing damage to someone PvP-enabled, and flares
doesn't
> > do any damage.
> >
> > --
> > ~ Cyde Weys ~
> >
> > Nalybuites' nalyubuites
> > Aeria gloris, aeria gloris
>
> You may beg to differ but it did indeed flag me. I remember this incident
> very well.

Sure, it flags you, and in Gadgetzan it will even make the gobs mad at you.
Hunter's mark flags you also.

Not true. It's been my experience that placing a Hunter's Mark (which
does no damage) on a flagged enemy will also flag me for PVP.

Flares will also aggro stealthed NPC's. (As my hunter learned in
Stormgarde Keep [ouch])

-Alan
Lyvanna lvl 54 NE Hunter on Thunderhorn

In article <Xns9656363BEBFD92galopagosterrapincy@128.8.10.18>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> I beg to differ ... it never flags me when I use it. The only way to flag
> without /pvp is by doing damage to someone PvP-enabled

Actually, this isn't true. Any aid you give to anyone opposing an enemy
(i.e., to your own faction) also flags you. For example, if you heal
them. Or if you fire a flare or set hunter's mark.

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):