Sign in with
Your question

Constant Hanging

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2012 9:30:54 PM

Hey guys,

My 2 year old homebuilt has been acting rather strange lately. For the past few days whenever I try to use it the system will constantly hang, and by hang I mean become totally unresponsive for up to 5 minutes. It can happen at any time with no applications running to a few. I have defragged my main hard drive which has the OS and Applications installed on, the second hard drive is only used for games and video files. I have also ran a virus scan and found 4 infecitons which have now been dealt with but the problem persists.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

More about : constant hanging

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2012 9:35:45 PM

You should always post relevant data up front. Then we don't have to hunt through the thread to find it.

Parts list, OS.

What virus scan and what kind of infections?

July 2, 2012 9:50:09 PM

Biostar GF8100 M2 SE Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Ram DDR2
AMD 630 2.8GHz x4
WD 500GB Hard Drive - C: Drive (Main)
Samsung 1TB Hard Drive - D: (Media)
Corsair VX550w PSU

Windows 7 x64

Eset Smart Security 5 was used to scan but I don't remember the infection names.
Related resources
July 2, 2012 10:17:56 PM

I would first run another scan with different software. Microsoft security essentials for instance.

I would also use HWMonitor to monitor various temps in your system. NVidia chipset boards run notoriously hot, and I haven't recommended one in 4 years or more.

If the scan is clean and the temps are good, I would mostly suspect a drive as they produce this.

However, I would make sure of no malware by completely disconnecting from the internet to see if performance improves.

July 3, 2012 6:51:16 PM

At the moment I am downloading Microsoft Security Essentials as you suggested to try and isolate the problem, it happened again today after booting up my PC for around 10 minutes or so, I instantly disconnected the Ethernet cable but the problem seemed to persist. I also checked my temps last night but there was nothing out of the ordinary, the only thing that stands out was my drives were just below 40^C
July 3, 2012 7:08:08 PM

You could take the side off the case and point a large fan into it... that's a good way to test also.

Look at your event viewer for critical errors and other errors.

Try removing the data drive from the system.

Rub HDtune on each drive to see if there are issues.

Check Task Manager for suspicious programs you don't recognize. A quick google will tell you what they are.
July 3, 2012 8:42:40 PM

I thought I had posted a reply but apparently not. Anyway I checked Event Viewer and found 0 Criticals in the past hour, but I found 34 Errors in the last hour and 250+ over the last 24 hours. Almost all of them relate to the disk having a bad sector, I have taken a screenshot.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/Killer66250/di...
July 3, 2012 9:08:41 PM

Looks like you have your issue then.
July 3, 2012 9:14:11 PM

Any ideas on where to go from here? Or is it simply buy a new drive.
July 3, 2012 9:17:49 PM

Which drive is it? You can probably RMA and use the other for the time being. Both have 2 or 3 year warranties at least, I would think.
July 3, 2012 10:37:56 PM

It is the C: Drive. My main one with the OS installed.
July 4, 2012 12:18:23 AM

Install a fresh OS on the other drive and transfer anything you can off the failing one, then RMA.
July 4, 2012 3:53:56 AM

I tried to clone my hard drive with my external hard drive but now whenever I power the computer it will reach the desktop, hang for 5 minutes then shut off. I'm going to leave the incredibly slow CHKDSK running over night even though I doubt it'll make a difference, I just need enough time to transfer files because some of them are important to me. Any ideas on how I could make it last slightly longer?
July 4, 2012 6:05:17 AM

By NOT running programs that will make it work more. Transfer the files you need manually in order of importance. Install fresh on the other drive first then transfer files.
July 4, 2012 5:06:30 PM

The hard drive has completely died, whenever I boot the PC it asks me to reboot and select bootable media. So I guess I need to try and RMA or buy a new one. If I were to install Windows onto my Media Drive (D:)  would I lose all data on this drive? If so I think it would be better just waiting for a new main drive and keeping my files on D:
July 4, 2012 6:35:13 PM

I can't edit my post so I'm going to have to double post. I cannot find my reciept or box in which the hard drive came, will this effect my RMA? Also would it be possible to install Windows on my external hard drive and use that whilst I wait for a new one, would this effect any data on the external? Also sometimes when I boot it asks me to insert bootable media, others it boots fine but then hangs and shuts down. I can't transfer any files before this happens which is annoying since some of them are of great importance.
July 4, 2012 7:29:38 PM

As I said before, install the OS on a different drive FIRST then grab the files you need off that drive. Just because it has failed to the point that it won't boot does not mean the files are unrecoverable... but EVERY TIME you try you make the drive a little worse.

Here's the way I would handle your situation.

1. take the failing drive out of the system or completely disconnect.
2. Boot the computer using a DVD with a Linux distro that will support USB drives... I think Ultimate Boot CD does this.
3. Transfer all the media files from the internal drive (currently D drive) to the external USB drive. This step has nothing to do with the failing drive.
4. Now you can install the OS on the drive that was your D drive. Reboot into the Windows DVD and install the OS on the internal (was D) drive.
5. Once this is all done you can reconnect the failing drive. Grab any files you can off the failing drive.

See if you can get a receipt copy from the vendor that sold you the drive. This is simple with newegg or Amazon, as they are right there online in your account.

If there is no record anywhere of the transaction WD may still honor the warranty. They know when it was made, and roughly when it shipped, at least. They might even have more info from the vendor.
July 4, 2012 7:56:48 PM

I appreciate the reply but I'm having some trouble understanding what you mean, how would I transfer files from the internal drive in step 3 when it is disconnected in step 1? Also my Windows DvD was downloaded as part of a student program and is OEM.
July 4, 2012 8:07:01 PM

You have two internal drives, correct? You are removing the boot drive that is failing and then getting the media files off the other drive, so that you can turn it into a boot drive.

You can install the OEM OS as many times as you like on that system. You just can't install it on a new motherboard. Which drive it is on does not matter.
July 4, 2012 8:18:46 PM

Sorry if I'm being vague and have a lot of questions but this is the impression I have gotten:

1:Boot from external which will have Linux installed
2:Copy files from failing drive to USB which will require the failing drive to be accessed but one can hope
3:If successful insert Windows DvD and format failing drive

But after your most recent post you said to get the files from the second working drive so I can make that my main and only hard drive. Therefore all files being lost during the format of the working drive. I would do this but the files from the failing drive are the ones that I need the most.
July 4, 2012 8:28:28 PM

Not what I meant at all.

- You do not need to install Linux at all. You can boot DIRECTLY from a DVD. No hard drive required.

Go back and have another look at the steps I gave... I will update them next
July 5, 2012 9:45:12 PM

I'm going to follow your advice but yet again I am confused, at step 2 you say I need a Linux Distro that supports USB, How would I know which Linux OS supports USB? Or is that what Ultimate Boot CD was for? The information on their website is limited and it seems that the Cd is only used for functions in and around the BIOS
July 6, 2012 6:34:31 AM

Yes, UBCD does this. It has a Linux distro built in...
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Follow the directions to create a bootable disk.

Try Parted Magic from the menu. That should be the only tool you need... it has a fairly simple graphical interface.

July 7, 2012 6:13:24 PM

I followed your advice slightly, in the end I decided to just format my D: drive which ended up in all the old files staying on the drive? I am sure I set it to new install rather than upgrade since there was no previous OS to upgrade over? Anyway I reconnected the broken hard drive and set my working one as the boot drive in BIOS, But whenever the PC boots 1 of 2 things can happen. Disk Checker will pop up saying that my broken one needs to be checked, if I cancel this the PC will just hang until I hard restart, the other thing is I will load into Windows but when I access My Computer to try and copy files the hard drive just appears as: Local Drive E: and causes Windows Explorer to hang, what do you recommend I do?
July 7, 2012 7:30:28 PM

Did you have multiple partitions on the original D drive? That's the only scenario where you files would still be there.

So with the old boot drive completely disconnected the PC boots fine and there are no issues?

If you had followed my advice you would have better tools on hand for data recovery.
July 8, 2012 12:49:35 AM

There was only a single partition on the original D: drive, that's why I find this so strange, and yes with the broken one not connected at all there are no problems when booting.
!