Gaming Computer Ideas?

Nov 10, 2012
These are some ideas for components to create my new gaming rig. I have a budget of around £400-£500, $700-$800 i live in england and so are interested in using sites such as dabs. Does anyone have any ideas on how i could get for bang for my buck and whether i could change some components for better?

-Asus P8H61-MX R2.0 S1155 Intel H61 DDR3 mATX

-Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon 7770 HD 1100MHz 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Vapor-X OC GHZ Edition

-Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller

-Best Value Alpine 700W PSU 120mm Red Fan

-Intel Core i5-2400 3.10GHz LGA1155 6MB

-OCZ Technology 60GB Agility 3 SSD Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

-Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP

pauls3743

Distinguished
Couple of changes:-

Bin the alpine value psu, insert and Corsair 430W Builder Series, it's more expensive but it's a far better quality component.

Swap out the SSD for a spindle hard drive, like the Seagate 500GB 7,200 rpm. Not quite as responsive as an SSD but will give you lots more space to install games.

Personally, I haven't use Dabs since I had a horrendous experience with their preffered courier, the Home Delivery Network/Yodel, and will only start using them again when they change courier. I use other etailer like eBuyer, Overclockers, Kustoms PCs.

Rammy

Honorable
I have a saved ~£500 build that's quite a lot more powerful than your current one, but it doesn't include an OS or a case which will ramp up the price significantly

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/nbwh

Processor is cheaper and better (3rd gen vs 2nd gen). Graphics card is a lot better. SSDs are awesome but unless you have an old HDD lying around you'll need more than 60GB to install more or less anything so not worth it on a budget (do love the quick booting though).
If you like my build but want to cut off some of the cost, the HD7850 card is really nice and is maybe £20 cheaper. I probably wouldn't go too much cheaper on a new graphics card for a gaming PC though, not if you want to run modern games at 1080P.
Also if you don't specifically need a quad, i3s are quite a bit cheaper and still pretty good.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I do agree with the previous posters that 60gb is barely enough for gaming, In addition the only difference an SSD does in gaming is faster load times. Anyways my input is try and grab a Z77 board if you plan on doing SLI/Crossfire.