Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU 12V rails

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2012 2:00:06 PM

How do i know which connectors are using which 12V rail if a power supply has 2 or more 12v rails?

More about : psu 12v rails

a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2012 2:59:27 PM

Lazar_99 said:
How do i know which connectors are using which 12V rail if a power supply has 2 or more 12v rails?

most times it the two pci power plugs are on the two rails. most times vendor will put a lable showing how the ps is wired.if not google your power supply model and reviews or images or wire digagrams. and see how it wired. on most newer pc the cpu and drives are on the first 12v leg.
Score
November 10, 2012 4:52:53 PM

smorizio said:
most times it the two pci power plugs are on the two rails. most times vendor will put a lable showing how the ps is wired.if not google your power supply model and reviews or images or wire digagrams. and see how it wired. on most newer pc the cpu and drives are on the first 12v leg.

http://www.xilence.net/en/products/power-supplies/red-w...

That is my former unit. It has two 12V rails. I opened it up to clean it and found that on the PCB wires only go to 12V1 rail and the other 12V2 rail has no wires connected in it. But i don't see any fuses where the 12V2 rail is and i see two fuses going into the 12V1 rail. Is it possible they just made improper PCB writing? And are both rails used?
Score
Related resources
a c 1176 ) Power supply
November 10, 2012 7:16:25 PM

Your power supply doesn't have any PCI Express Supplementary power connectors.

The yellow colored wires are the +12V power lines.

Usually the manufacturer will use yellow wires with a color stripe on them to indicate the separate +12V rails (i.e. a different color stripe for each +12V rail). If none of the yellow wires have a different color stripe on them then assume it is a single +12V rail design despite what the label shows.
Score
November 10, 2012 8:14:41 PM

ko888 said:
Your power supply doesn't have any PCI Express Supplementary power connectors.

The yellow colored wires are the +12V power lines.

Usually the manufacturer will use yellow wires with a color stripe on them to indicate the separate +12V rails (i.e. a different color stripe for each +12V rail). If none of the yellow wires have a different color stripe on them then assume it is a single +12V rail design despite what the label shows.

It has two 12V rails. As i said there are 2 fuses for the 12V. The ones for the CPU and motherboard are 12V1 and 2 molex connectors and 4 sata connectors are on 12V2. This PSU has the same PCB they use on ones with four 12V rails.
Score

Best solution

a c 1176 ) Power supply
November 10, 2012 8:35:30 PM

Lazar_99 said:
It has two 12V rails. As i said there are 2 fuses for the 12V. The ones for the CPU and motherboard are 12V1 and 2 molex connectors and 4 sata connectors are on 12V2. This PSU has the same PCB they use on ones with four 12V rails.

Quote:
... I opened it up to clean it and found that on the PCB wires only go to 12V1 rail and the other 12V2 rail has no wires connected in it. ...

That certainly indicates that only a single rail is used. If there is no Over Current Protection circuit (fuses don't count because they burn out and don't reset) for each +12V rail then it doesn't have multiple +12V rails.

The same circuit board is used for multiple power supply models to save money. It doesn't mean all features of the circuit board are used for every model.
November 10, 2012 10:47:21 PM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
Score
!