Sign in with
Your question

What CPU Shall I Buy??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:07:46 PM

Hello,
I am wanting to make a quite powerfull gaming computer, and i was wondering which cpu shall i get. I was thinking of getting an i7 quad core (or maby a hexacore) but im not sure which one because there are so many models out there. I will be using a 700w psu and the graphics card will be a asus 7970 (HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 To be exact http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7970DC2...). So please give me some sugestions on what to choose. I was maby thinking of a 2011 socket one but im not to sure.

Thanks,

More about : cpu buy

a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:19:08 PM

Well for gaming my vote goes to the Intel I5 3570k, you can also overclock it for a significant performance increase which will help in CPU bound games. The i7 offers very little to no performance gain over the i5 in terms of gaming. The i7 is meant for heavy apps like video rendering and stuff like that. Would be best if you post the entire build and I can see how much wattage you really need, we can probably save you a bit of money with the power supply by going with a lower wattage without compromising the quality of the power supply. Also for a gaming computer I would recommend no more than 8gb of RAM, only go for 16 if its on sale and around the price of 8 gb. You don't really need those fancy ram sticks with extending heatsinks because I find them to be a bit of a nuisance with installing heatsinks since they occasionally conflict with them physically.
November 10, 2012 2:30:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention as well i do graphic design as a second job and movie rendering with vegas.
Specs:
CPU: Not Sure
Motherboard: Not sure yet depends on the CPU
Graphic Card: HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
Case: Cm Storm Enforcer
SSD: 120gb (To put windows on)
Ram:16gb (But you said 8 would be fine)
Memory: 1tb Hard drive
Disk Drive: Samsung 22x dvd burner
Network Card: 150 Mps Wireless PCIe Card
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:33:06 PM

Well then since you are doing video rendering the usage of the i7 is justified so you should go along with something like the 3770k if you want fast time doing those times. The i5 can do that as well but its slower at it but if money is not a factor then go for the i7. Also the 16gb ram would also be useful now for the same purpose mentioned above. Let me know if you plan to overclock or not and let me know the CPU you want.
November 10, 2012 2:39:53 PM

OK thanks for this, i think i might get a i7. Say i got the Intel Core i7-3820 3.60GHz with the 2011 socket would the motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 be sufficient?
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 3:00:48 PM

Should work absolutely fine with each other, anyways you could opt for a lower chipset for that motherboard since you are not overclocking. Anyways you plan on sli/crossfire? If not consider stepping down to a bit more of a basic motherboard to save money. Anyways that setup will still run fine with that motherboard and CPU, just wanted to let you know you can save a bit of money.
November 10, 2012 3:04:49 PM

Im sure i will be overclocking :p . Thaks for the feed back
!