Is My Hard-drive Failing??

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
My hard-drive used to be working fine for more than a year until one day I could not get my computer to start. I am using Windows XP and it could only load for a while before it got stuck and the system restarts by itself. I had to run CHKDSK /r in recovery mode using my Windows XP CD in order to get my computer to successfully start. It usually reports that CHKDSK had fixed one or more error on my disk. I last had this problem a few months ago and it has been rather rampant this time around!
The problem doesn't just end there, my computer crashes every time I run many applications at a time and sometimes, "My Documents" becomes unresponsive when I try accessing the file. After it crashes, it all comes down to luck on whether Windows can successfully load or I will have to run CHKDSK /r in recovery mode again to get Windows started again. Again, CHKDSK reported it had fixed one or more errors on my disk.
Strangely, I had tried running a full CHKDSK using the Windows XP program but it reported no error! There aren't any clicking sounds on my hard-drive either!
At the moment, I believe that all of my problems are caused by a possible failing hard-drive. Am I right or are there any other related problems?