Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Build - Help me help my co-worker

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2012 11:45:30 PM

Hello everyone and thank you for your time in advance.

I am trying to help one of my older co-workers out. Her husband is a gamer (god bless him), and his recently "upgraded" computer took a crap. I recently built one, and told her of my mistakes, so she asked me what would be the best gaming computer she could build with the following restrictions...

1. Parts must be from newegg.com - We are local and would like same day pickup
2. $1200 budget
3. Would like a build that would be able to keep up with current/future releases (to an extent)
4. Intel processor

Any help is appreciated.

More about : gaming build worker

a c 278 4 Gaming
July 2, 2012 11:48:13 PM

Does that $1200 include monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS?

If not I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($122.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1236.77
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
l
July 3, 2012 3:49:11 AM

Forgot to mention that. My co worker's husband is going to utilize his mouse, monitor etc. $1200 budget for the tower.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you taking time to put that together.
m
l
Related resources
a c 278 4 Gaming
July 3, 2012 4:06:24 AM

yellow said:
Forgot to mention that. My co worker's husband is going to utilize his mouse, monitor etc. $1200 budget for the tower.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you taking time to put that together.

I never noticed the greatness of PC Part Picker until I started using it. That build is pretty similar to my own but with a different case and GPU. :lol: 
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:12:14 AM

You really should skim through these questions for thoroughness: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

That said--how much does the $1200 price point mean to you? Would you be just as happy at the $750 price point? I'm not saying that you have to go one way or the other, but I'm curious if saving $100 here or there for a better price/performance ratio is worth it to you.

g-unit1111 picked good parts

Cooler: I'd go with the Hyper 212+ when it has a rebate available that drops it to $15

RAM: I'd go with G. Skill RAM, but the Crucial he picked is good--whatever you do, stick to 1600CL9 or faster (1866 is negligibly better but worth it if the same price).

HDD: I own 5 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's. I bought them all for $60 or less though, so I'm not a fan of that price.

SSD: You could get a 60GB drive and use it for caching for cheaper if you want or spend $50 more and find a 240GB drive on sale sometime soon. But that drive is a decent price and a very solid performer. The Agility 4 might be faster and cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=lnSQAsTE...

Graphics: Not bad. I find myself preferring Radeon cards, yet I've never happened to buy one.

Case: I might go with a full tower. Make sure whatever you decide on has filter fans and front panel usb 3.0. I'd go with the 500R for $105 if you buy it before the $20 discount ends: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Here's another case I like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Stick to Antec, Corsair, Season, XFX, or PC Power & Cooling. 750W will handle a second GPU down the line, which means you'll be able to add a second and run most games on Very High three or four years from now.

Anyhow, the original build posted by g-unit was good.
m
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
July 3, 2012 4:16:28 AM

dalauder said:
You really should skim through these questions for thoroughness: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

That said--how much does the $1200 price point mean to you? Would you be just as happy at the $750 price point? I'm not saying that you have to go one way or the other, but I'm curious if saving $100 here or there for a better price/performance ratio is worth it to you.

g-unit1111 picked good parts

Cooler: I'd go with the Hyper 212+ when it has a rebate available that drops it to $15

RAM: I'd go with G. Skill RAM, but the Crucial he picked is good--whatever you do, stick to 1600CL9 or faster (1866 is negligibly better but worth it if the same price).

HDD: I own 5 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's. I bought them all for $60 or less though, so I'm not a fan of that price.

SSD: You could get a 60GB drive and use it for caching for cheaper if you want or spend $50 more and find a 240GB drive on sale sometime soon. But that drive is a decent price and a very solid performer. The Agility 4 might be faster and cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=lnSQAsTE...

Graphics: Not bad. I find myself preferring Radeon cards, yet I've never happened to buy one.

Case: I might go with a full tower. Make sure whatever you decide on has filter fans and front panel usb 3.0. I'd go with the 500R for $105 if you buy it before the $20 discount ends: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Stick to Antec, Corsair, Season, XFX, or PC Power & Cooling. 750W will handle a second GPU down the line, which means you'll be able to add a second and run most games on Very High three or four years from now.

Anyhow, the original build posted by g-unit was good.

As far as the HDD prices go - yeah they suck but that's due to the floods in Thailand last year that shut down the factories. The prices are slowly returning to normal.

I like both GPUs - I've never been a true NVIDIA or Radeon fanboy - I use whichever is fastest for the price range. The GTX 670 is the best combo of value and performance. The 7870 is no slouch either.

I like mid tower cases - to me full towers are horrendously huge and bulky and that's never a good thing.
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:42:16 AM

I like small full towers or large mid towers. I don't like a smaller mid tower where fitting everything (especially taller CPU coolers like the Hyper line) can be a problem. Similarly, I don't like side door fans that take up space from the CPU cooler (like my current case).

The 7850 is what I'd prefer for a GPU since I think it's about GTX 580 on performance after the new AMD driver update for only $250. But that might be cheaper than the OP wants to go with. It should be able to hold pretty close to 60fps throughout all games that exist right now on Very High at 1080p. Sure it won't max Metro 2033, Crysis 2, and BF3. But I don't believe in spending $150 more for three games that look almost the same on "Very High". That's why I'm running my $200 GTX 570 right now.

But the 7850 kinda goes in with my $800 build idea. The $800 build is predicated on finding some Newegg deals though, not just day-to-day typical prices. For example, I think Newegg had the Spinpoint F3 1TB for $70 a month ago or so. Periodically they have great HDD prices, but I dunno if it's worth the OP's trouble to catch it. Of course, I'd just go with a $150 OCZ Agility 3 240GB for the HDD.

To give an example of my mindset, I just bought Civ 5 GOY and Civ 5 Gods & Kings for $18 total through a Russian site (cddiski, the Russian Gamestop) because it was cheaper. I didn't know if it would work, but it activates on Steam just fine. So my opinions aren't perfect for everyone, but they do save money most of the time.
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:57:53 PM

Thank you guys for your help and I apologize for not being thorough in my original post. I am going to forward the suggestions to my co-worker and see what she says.
m
l
July 8, 2012 11:16:35 PM

Sounds good. PM me if you come back as I'm closing this tab in my browser.
m
l
!