vance09

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I am planning a build on which I will be doing moderate overclocking down the road. Should I go for an air cooler or liquid cooler? I've heard that liquid coolers can leak and ruin components, so I am a little weary of them. Which of these two would you choose?

Cooler Master V6 GT CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089

CoolIT ECO II-240 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooling System 240MM Radiator & Dual Fans'
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=FAN&v=CoolIT%20ECO%20II-240%20Extreme%20Performance%20Liquid%20Cooling%20System%20240MM%20Radiator%20%26%20Dual%20Fans

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey sorry for no one answering your thread. Anyways my input is to go for the air cooler, I myself am running an Antec Kuhler 620 which is a closed water loop cooler and I am quite paranoid with it leaking over the video card which is more expensive than my CPU :lol:

Anyways what's your budget for a cooler, I think I can find you a much better air cooler.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to add that I bought my water cooler for $60 dollars and the Hyper 212 which is about $30 dollars performs within 1-2 degrees which shows I wasted my money. That being said what computer case do you have right now? I need to know the computer case to find its width so I can see how tall the cooler can be for it.

vance09

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Thanks for replying! I'm getting the Azza Genesis 9000 Full Tower case, and the dimensions are 25.1"x9.8"x23.2". I can afford to pay about $20 more for the cooling system. How good is the air cooler I already have selected?

vance09

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

I actually found what looks like a decent cooler for under $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106178

Does this look good? It's been scoring amazingly in reviews that I've read, and I think it fits in my case. Only problem is, some people have complained that it blocks off the first ram port. That won't be a problem, if I only use two ram sticks, right?

when it comes to Air vs Liquid,

Air gives more performance for the $, but cannot beat the upper end water cooling options(tl;dr low end water cooling is too costly)

as for the thermaltake frio, I would think that there are better choices at that pricepoint. this one in particular has a moderately loud fan

vance09

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Read some reviews, and it looks like the V6 GT doesn't have a snug fit (i.e it moves a little on the motherboard). Will this be a problem if I have to move the desktop (I have to take it home from my college dorm every semester)

socialfox

Distinguished
Well unless it's a real bumpy road and you drive up mountains (just joking :lol: ) you would not really have to worry about it. Anyways I believe the Zalman cooler I linked in my previous post is better than the V6 GT. To be on the safe side place the computer on its side when its in your trunk. Try and also secure it from moving around by placing other things around it so it can't move freely.

socialfox

Distinguished
Solution