Fallout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

I was standing on the Zepplin in Orgrimmar, waiting for it to set off, and a
lvl 60 orc got on all dressed in shiny plate. I'm pretty sure he was a
warrior but I'm not 100% certain now. There is not much else to do on those
trips so I right clicked on his portrait and went to inspect, when suddenly
the guy vanishes like a rogue, but without the stealth noise, at exactly the
same time as the inspect window opens and instantly closes again.

The guy reappeared at the prow of the boat, out of inspect range, about 30
seconds later. I right clicked on his portrait but didn't move towards him
and he started running around in little circles, making the inspect option
on his portrait pop-up flash on and off. He seemed to know exactly what he
was doing and was facing me directly all the time. Eventually he stood just
inside inspect range, daring me to try it again. I didn't as I didn't want
to give him the satisfaction of doing it again. I wish I had now, just to
see if it was all some wierd lag issue the first time.

Is this some kind of mod? Anyone got any ideas?

- Fallout

Fallout wrote:
> I was standing on the Zepplin in Orgrimmar, waiting for it to set off, and a
> lvl 60 orc got on all dressed in shiny plate. I'm pretty sure he was a
> warrior but I'm not 100% certain now. There is not much else to do on those
> trips so I right clicked on his portrait and went to inspect, when suddenly
> the guy vanishes like a rogue, but without the stealth noise, at exactly the
> same time as the inspect window opens and instantly closes again.
>
> The guy reappeared at the prow of the boat, out of inspect range, about 30
> seconds later. I right clicked on his portrait but didn't move towards him
> and he started running around in little circles, making the inspect option
> on his portrait pop-up flash on and off. He seemed to know exactly what he
> was doing and was facing me directly all the time. Eventually he stood just
> inside inspect range, daring me to try it again. I didn't as I didn't want
> to give him the satisfaction of doing it again. I wish I had now, just to
> see if it was all some wierd lag issue the first time.
>
> Is this some kind of mod? Anyone got any ideas?
>
> - Fallout

Very interesting. I just had almost the exact same thing happen to me
just outside the zep at Orgrimmar. Also a Tauren; running around in and
out of inspect range.

Shadrack

Fallout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

<dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like an invisibility potion.
>
> Regards,
> Noal

I can see how that would make him disappear like that, but it doesn't
explain the timing unless the guy just happened to drink the potion at the
_exact_ time I went to inspect him. His actions afterwards indicated that he
was knowingly playing with the inspect feature. I was wondering if he was
running something that could detect when he was inspected and triggered a
potion to be used.

-Fallout

Fallout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

> Very interesting. I just had almost the exact same thing happen to me
> just outside the zep at Orgrimmar. Also a Tauren; running around in and
> out of inspect range.
>
> Shadrack

Ah great, I was hoping someone else had seen this. Did he/she vanish the
moment the inspect window opened?

- Fallout.

"Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message

>> Very interesting. I just had almost the exact same thing happen to me
>> just outside the zep at Orgrimmar. Also a Tauren; running around in and out
>> of inspect range.
>>
>> Shadrack
>
> Ah great, I was hoping someone else had seen this. Did he/she vanish the
> moment the inspect window opened?

There is no way for *anyone* to know for sure that you are using the inspect
command, they can only guess. It was a good guess, or coincidence. That is
all.
-Marshall

Fallout napisa³(a):

> Is this some kind of mod? Anyone got any ideas?

I had a similar situation a few days ago while taking a boat from
Menetheil Harbour to Theramore. I was trying to inspect him and he was
just running away from me always being out of inspect range. Suddenly
the boat disappeared and I ended up in water and with "fatigue" bar...
No need to explain what happened later (I was faaar away from the coast :)
I think it's some kind of lag problem...

FoRK

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:54:48 +0200, FoRK <fork@USUN_TOtlen.pl> wrote:

>I had a similar situation a few days ago while taking a boat from
>Menetheil Harbour to Theramore. I was trying to inspect him and he was
>just running away from me always being out of inspect range. Suddenly
>the boat disappeared and I ended up in water and with "fatigue" bar...
>No need to explain what happened later (I was faaar away from the coast :)
>I think it's some kind of lag problem...

There must be a way to turn off the inspect function because many of
the characters I try to inspect have the inspect button grayed out.

roscoe

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001

> There must be a way to turn off the inspect function because many of
> the characters I try to inspect have the inspect button grayed out.

Maybe they were out of range?

Joe

I think what happened was just a syncing problem. While you're in a
zeppelin, objects (including PCs) don't get updated that much (as
you're going too fast maybe they coded it that way to speed up things,
besides there isn't much you can do while on a zeppelin). But as soon
as you clicked 'Inspect', that forced a refresh, which made it appear
that the guy 'vanished' and 'appeared' somewhere else. Every time you
clicked on inspect, there was a refresh. The guy was just probably
running around the boat but it 'looked' like he was in front of you

well of COURSE it's lag.

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, but it's so much more fun to speculate that it
could be something else! Killjoy.

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Actually its LAG... thats all.....

I have found that the only reason the Inspect option would be greyed out is
because you aren't standing close enough to them, I could be wrong though!
:)

"Mat Sayle" <mathew.sayleNO@SPAMteam.telstra.com> wrote in message
>I have found that the only reason the Inspect option would be greyed out is
> because you aren't standing close enough to them, I could be wrong though!
> :)

You're not wrong, you are correct. It is only greyed out if you are not close
enough (it has a pretty short range, only about 10 feet or less), or if you
are trying to inspect an enemy from the opposing faction (alliance vs. horde).
-Marshall

I'm going with the theory that he could tell you were inspecting him. There
have been numerous mods that both allowed you to increase the inspection
range greatly (still works) as well as inspect opposing faction member's
gear (no longer working).

I wouldn't put it past some bright guy to have reworked these older mods to
circumvent whatever changes Blizzard made to disable them initially.

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, or it was just a coincidence /shrug. As far as
exploits go, this would be a pretty benign one.

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Mat Sayle" <mathew.sayleNO@SPAMteam.telstra.com> wrote in message
>>I have found that the only reason the Inspect option would be greyed out
>>is
>> because you aren't standing close enough to them, I could be wrong
>> though!
>> :)
>
> You're not wrong, you are correct. It is only greyed out if you are not
> close
> enough (it has a pretty short range, only about 10 feet or less), or if
> you
> are trying to inspect an enemy from the opposing faction (alliance vs.
> horde).
> -Marshall

"Jack Hollis" <xsleeper@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:54:48 +0200, FoRK <fork@USUN_TOtlen.pl> wrote:
>
>>I had a similar situation a few days ago while taking a boat from
>>Menetheil Harbour to Theramore. I was trying to inspect him and he was
>>just running away from me always being out of inspect range. Suddenly
>>the boat disappeared and I ended up in water and with "fatigue" bar...
>>No need to explain what happened later (I was faaar away from the coast :)
>>I think it's some kind of lag problem...
>
> There must be a way to turn off the inspect function because many of
> the characters I try to inspect have the inspect button grayed out.

I have a UI-Mod that lets me inspect from far away. You can inspect like
from 60 yards away.

Warr