Sign in with
Your question

Do I need an upgrade power supply?

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2012 5:38:27 PM

I'm new to the video editing industry and my job requires me to start learning about this (trainer for mid-size retail company). We just purchased the following machine and will be setting it up next week and will be using it for Camtasia and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. I was curious if the power supply is going to be sufficient because from my research online it looks like I might be cutting it close.

Compaq Elite 8000 - 320W stock power supply
Intel i7-3770 processor
1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
12GB ram (4GB stock - added two more 4GB chips)
Quadro 2000D video card - 67 watt wax power draw

I read that if I've got too much for the power supply the computer will either not turn on or you will reduce the life of the power supply (by over-working it) and potentially damage other hardware. That is my biggest concern and I wonder if I should upgrade the power supply now and not run the risk.

Thanks for any input anyone has!

Andrew

More about : upgrade power supply

a c 1195 ) Power supply
November 10, 2012 6:47:45 PM

For a system using a single Quadro 2000D graphics card NVIDIA recommends a minimum of a 300 Watt or greater power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater.

You should have no problem with the existing OEM 320W power supply. It has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps.
m
l
!