Sign in with
Your question

Assistance with a new CPU.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2012 5:43:48 PM

Hello,

I am new to tom's hardware, but I have used the website before on questions I had. Today I upgraded my cpu from an AMD athlon to an AMD phenom ii x4 945 and right from the beginning I noticed it was a lot slower in just simple tasks like open folders, web browser, etc.. I haven't tried playing any games on it yet. Anyways I did a little bit of research on the forums and most of the answer seems to be configuring your bios to the new specs but when I go to my bios and find where I can change the settings I get very lost on what I need to change. I never overclocked or did anything with bios before besides making sure it would boot once from a cd and allowing it to recognize a wireless keyboard. If somebody got some time could you explain on exactly what I need to do?

* I did update my bios before installing
*Seems like a lot of people here like info from CPUID so I have that information also and can post it as a .txt file or a .html file not sure what everybody prefers.

Thanks.

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom IIx4 945
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology INC Model #GA-MA78GM-S2HP
BIOS: Award Software International Version:F4
4g of ram
radeon hd 4870

More about : assistance cpu

November 10, 2012 11:44:22 PM

noidea_77 said:
You need to update your BIOS! The Phenom IIx4 945 is supported since F5 and you have F4. The F4 has no information about your CPU like the max core frequency and so on. That's why it's slow. The bios can be found here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Thanks that did the trick. :) )
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2012 7:31:38 AM

Don't disrespect the BIOS dude!
m
l
!