Sign in with
Your question

PCIe 3.0 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2012 11:57:11 AM

Hey guys, I was going with a SB-z68 build until I found out about the Radeon HD 7850 w/ PCIe 3.0. My mobo is PCIe 2.0 so I have a couple questions.

1) Can I use my PCIe 3 gpu in a PCIe 2 slot?

2) Will it affect performance in any way? (compared to 3.0)

3) Ivy bridge cpu supports PCIe 3.0. what does it mean for a CPU to support pcie 3.0?

Thanks guys!

More about : pcie question

a c 84 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 12:09:44 PM

1)yes you can use pcie 3.0 card on 2.0 every pcie is compatable with each other no need to worry.:) 

2)no there is not a big diffrence between pcie 2.0 or 3.0 its about 1 to 2% difference.:) 

3)every cpu support every type of pcie card just the fact is that some are weak some are strong.:) 
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 7:38:57 PM

1- Yes of course.
2- No, there will be no difference

3- This means that the PCI-E controller on the CPU support the transfer speeds of the PCIE 3.0 lanes.

Currently the most powerful video cards start to fully use all the available bandwidth of the PCI-e 2.0 slot, it'll be a while till the PCIE 3.0 fully utilized.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 7:48:42 PM

sunnk said:
3)every cpu support every type of pcie card just the fact is that some are weak some are strong.:) 

Say what now?

When you see that Ivy Bridge supports PCIe 3.0, it means that with the chip installed your motherboard will work in PCIe 3.0 mode. If you have a Sandy Bridge chip and a PCIe 3.0 board, it will operate in PCIe 2.1 mode. Sandy Bridge E also supports PCIe 3.0.

As far as performance difference, there will be none. PCIe revisions basically just add bandwidth, and there aren't any cards that exist which will be throttled by a PCIe 2.1 x16 slot. Adding more available bandwidth won't make the card any faster, it couldn't even use all of what it had before.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 7:42:33 AM

willard said:
Say what now?

When you see that Ivy Bridge supports PCIe 3.0, it means that with the chip installed your motherboard will work in PCIe 3.0 mode. If you have a Sandy Bridge chip and a PCIe 3.0 board, it will operate in PCIe 2.1 mode. Sandy Bridge E also supports PCIe 3.0.

As far as performance difference, there will be none. PCIe revisions basically just add bandwidth, and there aren't any cards that exist which will be throttled by a PCIe 2.1 x16 slot. Adding more available bandwidth won't make the card any faster, it couldn't even use all of what it had before.

thanks for writing it in more brief form:) 
m
l
!