RP and a GM

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sliny/wow_pirates.jpg

This seemed fun :-)

Agin
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
    that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm concerned.

    "Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...

    I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
    Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
    disciplining people taking advantage of it?

    If it's a bug, fix it. It's obvious and natural that players would seek to
    gain any advantage in the environment that they can.

    There are enough bugs that work against the players as it is.

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:13:59 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com>
    wrote:

    >"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
    >
    >I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
    >Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
    >disciplining people taking advantage of it?

    You are right, they should fix it... Only it is a very hard problem to
    fix, indeed so hard that most games have pathing problems in some form
    or another.

    Of course saying; "the others have the same problem too" does not make
    it all right, but it can be used to indicate that it is not a problem
    you can "just" fix, and the result is that you need to take some form
    of measures to counter exploits while you try to fix the problem
    itself.

    >It's obvious and natural that players would seek to
    >gain any advantage in the environment that they can.

    Yes kinda, but with restrictions. If you encounter something that
    reaks of "bug" and then proceed to exploit it for your own gain
    Blizzard can, will and should take measures to stop it.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    "Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:13:59 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
    >>
    >>I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
    >>Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
    >>disciplining people taking advantage of it?
    >
    > You are right, they should fix it... Only it is a very hard problem to
    > fix, indeed so hard that most games have pathing problems in some form
    > or another.

    I find that quite difficult to believe. I've worked in games myself and-
    although only in 2D- have utilised proprietary pathing editors for AI.
    Considering all the paths must be set throughout the world (just consider
    all the paths that mobs and pets find over seemingly insurmountable hills)
    it doesn't seem like that a big a deal to patch it in if it's such a big
    deal that a GM must address players about exploiting it. OTOH I don't know
    Blizzard's so maybe it isn't a trivial fix.

    > Yes kinda, but with restrictions. If you encounter something that
    > reaks of "bug" and then proceed to exploit it for your own gain
    > Blizzard can, will and should take measures to stop it.

    Bug maybe. Maybe the guards are just scared of heights:)

    "Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
    > that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm concerned.

    If the game mechanics allow something to be done then, someone is going to
    do it. Wisely, MMOG's now try to make anti-social behaviour impossible
    through game design, rather than hoping than the community will toe the
    line.

    To tell people off for going where they can easilly get to rather than
    making a permanent fix seems faintly ridiculous. To tell people not to use
    an emote that was deliberately programmed by the designers is absurd.

    - Fallout Lvl 1 Bilge Rat

    "Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message

    > "Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
    >> that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm
    >> concerned.
    >
    > If the game mechanics allow something to be done then, someone is going to
    > do it. Wisely, MMOG's now try to make anti-social behaviour impossible
    > through game design, rather than hoping than the community will toe the
    > line.
    >
    > To tell people off for going where they can easilly get to rather than
    > making a permanent fix seems faintly ridiculous. To tell people not to use
    > an emote that was deliberately programmed by the designers is absurd.
    >
    > - Fallout Lvl 1 Bilge Rat

    Likewise, to stop em from doing it is also perfectly acceptable.

    As for the spitting, well on the one hand they put it in the game, however,
    they were all obviously doing it to piss the GM off because he was stopping
    them from cheating so deserved whatever they got TBH.

    NEXT!

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games