Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2005 5:02:58 PM

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sliny/wow_pirates.jpg

This seemed fun :-)

Agin

More about : question

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2005 5:02:59 PM

That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm concerned.

"Aginrikr" <aginrikr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sliny/wow_pirates.jpg
>
> This seemed fun :-)
>
> Agin

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 15, 2005 3:13:59 AM

"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...

I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
disciplining people taking advantage of it?

If it's a bug, fix it. It's obvious and natural that players would seek to
gain any advantage in the environment that they can.

There are enough bugs that work against the players as it is.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 15, 2005 4:38:49 PM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:13:59 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
>
>I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
>Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
>disciplining people taking advantage of it?

You are right, they should fix it... Only it is a very hard problem to
fix, indeed so hard that most games have pathing problems in some form
or another.

Of course saying; "the others have the same problem too" does not make
it all right, but it can be used to indicate that it is not a problem
you can "just" fix, and the result is that you need to take some form
of measures to counter exploits while you try to fix the problem
itself.

>It's obvious and natural that players would seek to
>gain any advantage in the environment that they can.

Yes kinda, but with restrictions. If you encounter something that
reaks of "bug" and then proceed to exploit it for your own gain
Blizzard can, will and should take measures to stop it.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:13:59 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
>>
>>I don't really understand this: If it's a pathing problem, why don't
>>Blizzard fix it instead of wasting man hours conversing with and
>>disciplining people taking advantage of it?
>
> You are right, they should fix it... Only it is a very hard problem to
> fix, indeed so hard that most games have pathing problems in some form
> or another.

I find that quite difficult to believe. I've worked in games myself and-
although only in 2D- have utilised proprietary pathing editors for AI.
Considering all the paths must be set throughout the world (just consider
all the paths that mobs and pets find over seemingly insurmountable hills)
it doesn't seem like that a big a deal to patch it in if it's such a big
deal that a GM must address players about exploiting it. OTOH I don't know
Blizzard's so maybe it isn't a trivial fix.

> Yes kinda, but with restrictions. If you encounter something that
> reaks of "bug" and then proceed to exploit it for your own gain
> Blizzard can, will and should take measures to stop it.

Bug maybe. Maybe the guards are just scared of heights:)
May 15, 2005 4:48:50 PM

"Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
> that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm concerned.

If the game mechanics allow something to be done then, someone is going to
do it. Wisely, MMOG's now try to make anti-social behaviour impossible
through game design, rather than hoping than the community will toe the
line.

To tell people off for going where they can easilly get to rather than
making a permanent fix seems faintly ridiculous. To tell people not to use
an emote that was deliberately programmed by the designers is absurd.

- Fallout Lvl 1 Bilge Rat
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 16, 2005 11:47:23 AM

"Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message

> "Pankas" <hopsonpaul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That is hilarious... you shouldn't have been rooftoping, but spitting...
>> that's a command in the game with no restrictions as far as i'm
>> concerned.
>
> If the game mechanics allow something to be done then, someone is going to
> do it. Wisely, MMOG's now try to make anti-social behaviour impossible
> through game design, rather than hoping than the community will toe the
> line.
>
> To tell people off for going where they can easilly get to rather than
> making a permanent fix seems faintly ridiculous. To tell people not to use
> an emote that was deliberately programmed by the designers is absurd.
>
> - Fallout Lvl 1 Bilge Rat

Likewise, to stop em from doing it is also perfectly acceptable.

As for the spitting, well on the one hand they put it in the game, however,
they were all obviously doing it to piss the GM off because he was stopping
them from cheating so deserved whatever they got TBH.

NEXT!