Folder content

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my laptop and the network, when ever I connect to a
certain mapped drive I can see the icons but not the labels of those icons, I
was told to use REGSVR32 /I SHELL32, it does fix the problem with the root of
the mapped drive, but when I open folders on any mapped drives some of them have
the same problem i.e.: I can only see the icons and no lables, and running the
previous command does help.

How can I definitely fix this problem, that is very annoying, espacially that
every time that I open a mapped drive I must close it run the command and then
reopen the drive (praying that the trick as worked).

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin
3 answers Last reply
More about folder content
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    What icon style are you using in these olders.?

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:qbLVd.39357$kz6.744144@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with my laptop and the network, when ever I connect to a
    > certain mapped drive I can see the icons but not the labels of those icons, I
    > was told to use REGSVR32 /I SHELL32, it does fix the problem with the root of
    > the mapped drive, but when I open folders on any mapped drives some of them have
    > the same problem i.e.: I can only see the icons and no lables, and running the
    > previous command does help.
    >
    > How can I definitely fix this problem, that is very annoying, espacially that
    > every time that I open a mapped drive I must close it run the command and then
    > reopen the drive (praying that the trick as worked).
    >
    > --
    > Thank you in Advance
    >
    > Merci a l'Avance
    >
    > Martin

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It's either thumbnail or tiles, why should that matter, it's suppose to work
    either way, isn't it ?

    --
    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:OchUIUHIFHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    What icon style are you using in these olders.?

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with my laptop and the network, when ever I connect to a
    > certain mapped drive I can see the icons but not the labels of those icons, I
    > was told to use REGSVR32 /I SHELL32, it does fix the problem with the root of
    > the mapped drive, but when I open folders on any mapped drives some of them
    > have
    > the same problem i.e.: I can only see the icons and no lables, and running the
    > previous command does help.
    >
    > How can I definitely fix this problem, that is very annoying, espacially that
    > every time that I open a mapped drive I must close it run the command and then
    > reopen the drive (praying that the trick as worked).
    >
    > --
    > Thank you in Advance
    >
    > Merci a l'Avance
    >
    > Martin

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Labels can be hidden on thumbnails (Shift + click Thumbnail command to hide/unhide - you have to be in non thumbnail mode switching to thumbnail mode) but shouldn't be on tiles (or icons or details). If it was thumbnails only a simple fix, hold shift while turning on thumbnails.

    The regsvr32 thingy is a general reinstall. It does thousands of things. So it doesn't really narrow it down (well from millions of unlikely problems to 1000s of possible but unlikely problems).

    I can think of problem solving strategies but you'll get sacked if you try them (I presume you are supposed to work as well and spending hours or days troubleshooting you'll get in trouble).

    We'll try some wild guesses.

    Don't use Regsvr32 for a while (while troubleshooting - use it while working).

    Next time it happens, close the window. Type regedit in Start Run and delete all the following values and keys.

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear). This is a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager.

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState and delete the value
    Settings

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

    This will nuke all folder settings. Narrow down the area that may be causing it.

    Also type in Start Run
    msinfo32

    and go to Software Environment - Loaded Modules. Look at each non MS file there to see if it's a legit file.

    Likewise type in a command prompt

    tasklist /m /fi "imagename eq explorer.exe"

    This lists all dll loaded by Explorer. Examine each one (there are a lot). Concentrate on non MS ones.
    "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ci0Xd.7085$JH1.412339@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > It's either thumbnail or tiles, why should that matter, it's suppose to work
    > either way, isn't it ?
    >
    > --
    > Thank you in Advance
    >
    > Merci a l'Avance
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:OchUIUHIFHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > What icon style are you using in these olders.?

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm having a problem with my laptop and the network, when ever I connect to a
    >> certain mapped drive I can see the icons but not the labels of those icons, I
    >> was told to use REGSVR32 /I SHELL32, it does fix the problem with the root of
    >> the mapped drive, but when I open folders on any mapped drives some of them
    >> have
    >> the same problem i.e.: I can only see the icons and no lables, and running the
    >> previous command does help.
    >>
    >> How can I definitely fix this problem, that is very annoying, espacially that
    >> every time that I open a mapped drive I must close it run the command and then
    >> reopen the drive (praying that the trick as worked).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thank you in Advance
    >>
    >> Merci a l'Avance
    >>
    >> Martin

Configuration Microsoft Icons Windows XP