New Computer Build keeps freezing

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I just made my new computer, but it keeps freezing. I have searched around and people with the same problem usually attribute it to their RAM. My RAM is 1.35v, and it says that it works at 1.35v or 1.5v. In my bios I cannot find RAM except in the overclocking section, and it is set at auto. Should I set the RAM at 1.35v or at 1.5v? Or should I use OC Genie, and let it overclock automatically so it can set the RAM frequency automatically?

Sorry, don't know if this should be posted in New Build or Memory.

Specs:
- Intel Core i7 3930k @ 3.2GHz
- MSI X79 GD65 (8d)
- Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, 1.35v
- Hitachi 1TB HDD 7200rpm
- Kingwin 850W Power Supply
- Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS

Solution
if you go throgh with no errors it will look like this
nf2-big.gif

if there are errors it will look like this
MemtestMNN.jpg

you will want to boot off of one mem at one time once on each boot in primary spot boot off usb with mem test and run it it will take about 45 minutes per RAM stick

In the case that you get errors you will have to get new ram because ram should have no errors if the ram is ok then the computer not working in the begging could have been cause by bad ram ports aka- motherboard problems... in each case send it back and get new one... if both look fine update your bios...

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I did not attempt that yet, but when I first was building it, I used certain slots and the PC would boot and constantly keep shutting. Then I changed the slots and it started to boot up. So I am thinking it is most probably ram.

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I switched them around, but at the end I put them at the same spot because the computer doesn't boot from the other slots, but at the moment, so far so good :)

EDIT:
Nope, still froze, :(
Should I change volatge?

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I tried with one ram stick and it still has the freezing problem, should I try another set of samsung ram or should I buy another set of ram either then samsung?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
if you go throgh with no errors it will look like this
nf2-big.gif

if there are errors it will look like this
MemtestMNN.jpg

you will want to boot off of one mem at one time once on each boot in primary spot boot off usb with mem test and run it it will take about 45 minutes per RAM stick

In the case that you get errors you will have to get new ram because ram should have no errors if the ram is ok then the computer not working in the begging could have been cause by bad ram ports aka- motherboard problems... in each case send it back and get new one... if both look fine update your bios
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X79A-GD65--8D-.html#/?div=BIOS
download the latest version and install in bios... if none of this works please post there must be a hardware problem... but untill we rule this stuff out then don't panic

Solution

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I did the RAM check and 0 errors, though I am still doubtful, so I am using my other computers DDR3 ram to see if it still runs, will post back to tell if it works.

umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Well, my other computers RAM also did not work, and that RAM never froze on me before, can it be concluded that it is a motherboard problem because the memtest also confirmed that the RAM is perfectly fine.