NCP
Tonicom
Toshiba Japan
granttee
OR others ??

G

Try crucial or kingmax.
They both seem to be very good.

:wink: <font color=red>Is there a help group forum</font color=red><font color=green> for forum addiction?</font color=green> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
from your list,
1st. Kingmax
2nd. Hyundai
3rd. the rest, dont really know them.

kingmax makes some great 256mb PC150 SDRAM sticks.
i have two. sweet ass memory that. :)

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

Thanks for your advice.
Kingmax is really gd from now, I think.

About Hyundai, what I heard that is some people dislike it, saying that its quality is rather substandard.

G

Crucial ?? I haven't heard that brand before.

Talking more about buffalo.
Some said it is rather expensive but the reward is just the same quality as others.

Have you heard that before ??

G

Since I'm rather poor at comp, hence I would like to make a confirmation.

> kingmax makes some great 256mb PC150 SDRAM sticks.
PC "150" means it could run at max 155mhz, right ??

BTW, now I'm still hestiating which should be used (SDRAM or DDRRAM).
Which is better if:

-- mainly for documentary processing (eg word, excel)
-- seldom for games, mainly 2D, average requirements
-- use AMD 1-1.2ghz as CPU
-- no ideas about motherboard (what I need is 1st stable and safe, 2nd cheap, 3rd loading etc. speed and related quality etc.)

FatBurger

Illustrious
PC150 is RATED to go to 150MHz. Most sticks of RAM will go above their rated speeds. I was unlucky enough to get some that won't go even 2 MHz above 133 :(

You have to get a completely different motherboard for DDR or SDRAM (unless you get the Asus A7A266). I'd say DDR, not because you need the performance, but because the price of the two is the same, so you might as well.
How much are you willing to spend on a motherboard?
I'd say go for the Abit KG7-RAID or the Asus A7M266.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
PC150 sdram is factory certified to run stable at 150Mhz.
If you buy PC133 its certified for only 133.
but if you buy crucial or micron it may well reach 150. or it might not. all depends on the quality of the stick, who made it, what batch its from, and just how lucky you are.

personally i pushed my PC150 all the way to 160Mhz @ CAS2. the ram worked fine... shame my hard drive/PCI devices couldnt handle the elevated PCI bus speed of 40Mhz :(

as for SRD vs DDR:
DDR will give you a varying performance boost, depending on which type of DDR you use, which mobo, and what kind of applications you run.
AVOID the PC1600 DDR. go for either the PC2100 or PC2400 (PC150 DDR)
if you live in the states DDR costs the same as SDR, so you may as well go for DDR.
if you live in a technological backwater country like me, DDR still costs almost twice SDR, so you might wish to wait until a better DDR capable motherboard is available (the new SiS board or Nforce).

P.S. according to the sandra mem benchmark, my PC150 SDR @ CAS2 is approximately equivalent to PC2100 CAS 2.5 DDR (generic)

G

See if you get pc2400 , do you need to increse the FSB of your mobo to 150MHz also then? And would this mean that your CPU would also increase in speed?

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, PC2400 means that it <font color=blue>can</font color=blue> run at 150. It doesn't <font color=blue>have to</font color=blue>. The company is putting their word behind it running at that speed.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Yep, I've 512MB CAS 2 PC-133, and I managed to run the system at 145MHz without problems. Above this and things start to go funny. I think it may be the AGP port running at 2/3 of FSB.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes.
i can run my PC150 at 9.0x133 = 1200 if i want.
why why should i when my system is completely stable running 8.0x150=1200?
infact im stable up to 9.0x150=1350.

elevated bus speed and elevated Mhz. best of both worlds.

G

Don't PCI devices start to work unstably if the FSB is too high? That could be a problem if using PC2400 RAM.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its a possibility yes, but if you have good quality PCI/AGP devices it shouldnt be a problem.
at 150 my PCI divider is 4, giving 27.5 for my pci and 75 for agp.
everything runs quite stable for extended periods of time (4 days is my record, and i had to reboot due to a new driver install, not a crash :) )

if i try to go above 154 however (38.5 pci & 77 agp) it doesnt like it and usually crashes within 15 minutes, then continually locks up on bootup. i think my primary hard drive doesnt like it.

IMHO the golden limit for PCI devices is generally 38 - 40, and modern geforce 2 agp cards are reputed to do up to 89 or more.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
what does that pci/agp divider etc mean? how do you know what it is, and how do you change it?

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
its the way the motherboard works out what speed to run the PCI devices/agpdevices at.
typically the mobo uses one clock, the system bus speed or FSB.
66, 100, 133 ,150 etc
and this is divided by a number to get the pci/agp speed
(agp speed is just twice the PCI)
so for the 66mhz FSB the divider is 2
100 = 3
133 = 4
for my particular mobo, the a7v133, it allows me to change the FSB from 90Mhz to 200Mhz
below 120Mhz the divider is set to 3, above taht its set to 4.
thus if i try a FSB of 160, the PCI speedis 40Mhz & aAGP 80. too high it seems for my pci devices.

apparently some P4 mobo's have an independent PCi speed clock which does away witht the divider and allows for better overclocking.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok, i see..... are the dividers always the same? 2 for 66, 3 for 100 and 4 for 133?

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well yes, for a range of FSB speeds.
the idea being that the PCI bus speed is always 33Mhz & the AGP 66Mhz.