Sign in with
Your question

Wireless USB adapter to go with 4G LTE hotspot

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 27, 2011 6:10:42 AM

I have a few desktops for our small business that I want to equip with wireless adapters so they can utilize our new Verizon Novtel MiFi 4510L 4G LTE hotspots. I prefer USB so I can move them between computers easily.

First, can I assume that USB adapters are just as good as PCI cards for making the machines wireless-capable in terms of reliability and performance? I assume that's a generally a yes, correct?

Second, what kind of specs should I be looking at, and is there a brand that you care to recommend?

I picked up a D-Link DWA-125 from CompUSA but that was before I through to even check on specs or brands. I just took what they gave me. It's specs say: 802.11n Draft 2, up to 150Mbps, WPA2. I'm seeing mixed reviews on NewEgg on it -- with almost half being either mediocre or very negative. The price was good, but that's not the main priority for me compared to reliability and performance.

Thanks!

Jay

a c 80 F Wireless
August 28, 2011 12:25:33 AM

Quote:
First, can I assume that USB adapters are just as good as PCI cards for making the machines wireless-capable in terms of reliability and performance? I assume that's a generally a yes, correct?

In my personal experience the answer is generally NO. USB has more overhead and might effect the computer's speed (depending on how old the computer is). to improve the signal strength you can use a USB extension cable so you can move the adopter around to get the best signal.

I uses them if I have to

I personally had good results with this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 4, 2011 12:36:10 AM

I found the solution. By far the hands-down choice is MediaLink. It's only available from their one authorized online reseller and from Amazon.

www.medialinkproducts.com

I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching and reading reviews before coming to that conclusion.

All the "major" names have an alarming mixture of good and bad reviews. The only two exceptions are MediaLink and TP-Link.

While the TP-Link has by far the best reviews on NewEgg, this MediaLink product and company seem to blow it and all others away many times over.

MediaLink is an enterprise-level wireless company that happened to make a product for this category.

US-based with exceptional phone support. (Unlike TP-Link which is Asian and probably doesn't exactly have very good phone support).

I had a D-Link and replaced it with the MediaLink and there is simply no comparison!

Rock solid and very professional hardware and software!

And the signal strength is far better than I had with the D-Link. It's 99% at present -- ranging from 90% to 100%. The D-Link was down in the 70% range.

Jay

m
l
!