Computer crashes at 75 degrees

I have a problem where my computer crashes when I am playing games and my gpu reaches temps of around 75 degrees. Not entirely sure this is the cause of the crash however as it isn't a particularly high temperature... The card is an EVGA gtx 260.

I don't think it is caused by another component as I had this problem in my old computer where every other component but the graphics card was different and my cpu temps are very good. In my old computer when my graphics card was reaching these temperatures the computer would crash and show a solid colour on the screen but on my current computer it just instantly restarts. My case is rigged to hell with fans so there isn't much chance of cooling it further unless I get an aftermarket vga cooler.

Can anybody help me with a solution to these crashes? i'm sick of having the gpu fan on 100%.
13 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes degrees
  1. Hey, what drivers are you running? That could easily be the culprit.
  2. What kind of power supply do you have? Unless the fan is extremely dirty, the higher temp - even though it's really not too bad - indicates to me the card is doing some heavy lifting at that time. This will cause it to draw more power from your power supply.

You could have a bad graphics card or a bad power supply. I've had a bad graphics card that has caused similar issues in the past. Fortunately, I haven't had an issue with a power supply yet (I generally like to replace them good or bad after around 4-5 years).
  3. triswarwick said:
    I have a problem where my computer crashes when I am playing games and my gpu reaches temps of around 75 degrees. Not entirely sure this is the cause of the crash however as it isn't a particularly high temperature... The card is an EVGA gtx 260.

I don't think it is caused by another component as I had this problem in my old computer where every other component but the graphics card was different and my cpu temps are very good. In my old computer when my graphics card was reaching these temperatures the computer would crash and show a solid colour on the screen but on my current computer it just instantly restarts. My case is rigged to hell with fans so there isn't much chance of cooling it further unless I get an aftermarket vga cooler.

Can anybody help me with a solution to these crashes? i'm sick of having the gpu fan on 100%.

What are your complete system specs? with just the info given, I would suspect the PSU, It all depends on your other components, (and your PSU! :D )
  4. psu is suspect; would like to hear more about the system
  5. system specs:
    850W G7 Extreme Modular ATX PSU
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    8gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    EVGA gtx 260
    Windows 7 64-bit

not sure about drivers although i'm pretty sure they are all up to date

Also i'm fairly certain that this was an issue back when I had a different psu
  6. triswarwick said:
    system specs:
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    EVGA gtx 260
    Windows 7 64-bit

Who makes your PSU? replacing a bad PSU with a new, bad PSU doesn't really solve anything...
    Can't find a positive review for this PSU.
  7. Yeah i have no idea what the brand name is...all it says on the box is what i put there. Sure it's pretty cheap but the fact that it works totally fine when the graphics card is not under stress suggests it's ok? not too sure on that one..
  8. triswarwick said:
    Yeah i have no idea what the brand name is...all it says on the box is what i put there. Sure it's pretty cheap but the fact that it works totally fine when the graphics card is not under stress suggests it's ok? not too sure on that one..

No it doesn't. Like I said before, your graphics card will draw more power when it is doing more work. If your power supply cannot effectively meet the demand for power, unexpected results may occur.

Are you within the return period for either your PSU or Graphics card?
  9. No, I'll probably end up getting the aftermarket cooler to keep it cool without it being so loud, if it continues to crash under full load at lower temperatures I'll look for a better PSU...Thanks for the help!
  10. get a good brand such as seasonic, antech, or corsair they wont fail you
  11. triswarwick said:
    system specs:
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    EVGA gtx 260
    Windows 7 64-bit

If you know for sure that you had the same problem when using a different power supply, chances are both power supplies were not bad.

If you know this for sure, the common item to suspect is the video card. If there is a power or some other issue with the video card itself, it can also cause similar symptoms. I bought a bad video card that caused this very same issue before. It would shut down my PC when I'd fire up a game. I had another video card in the system so I was able to isolate it by trying both cards individually in the system to troubleshoot. I found one worked and the other didn't, while both had the same reference-level power demands. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the faulty video card for one that worked because I was within the vendors return window.

I currently have a laptop with the same issue. A bad video card. It works great for everything else, but if I even start a game of minimal demand (ie MW2) where full screen 3-D rendering has to take place, the laptop shuts off on me after about 5 minutes.
  12. ubercake said:
    If you know for sure that you had the same problem when using a different power supply, chances are both power supplies were not bad.

That depends on the original PSU, doesn't it? He replaced the original PSU for a reason. If that reason was it was under powered, then the new PSU could have the same issue.
  13. ^This is true.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Computer Graphics Cards Graphics