Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No POST and no beep when turn on the computer

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 4:41:55 AM

recently, i cleaned my pc from the dust. i remove all the component including the cpu.then, when i reassembled and try to turn it on, it turned for 1 second and shut down. i got no POST msg and no beep from my mobo speaker. i've followed the steps from this guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...) and still the same things happened.

Quote:
I also wanted to add some suggestions that user jsc often posts. This is a direct quote from him:

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

i also followed the above suggestion which also result in no beep or silence. i think it is not my psu that cause the problem because when i use the extra psu (which is worked well with other system), it still does not produce any beep.

so, i want to ask how to determine whether the mobo or the cpu is the cause of the problem? or if the problem does not lies within these to component, please tell me.

if the detail is not enough, tell me what u want to know..

Here is my system (worked until recently):
intel i7 920 (stock fan)
gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
kingston 1gb 10666 ddr3 x2
mushkin 2gb 10666 ddr3
sapphire amd HD6950
500gb WD x2
CM Real Power M620
July 3, 2012 7:09:35 PM

It worked perfectly before you cleaned it and afterwards it won't turn on?

Your not getting power. Did you double check all cords? I been working on computers for years and sometimes I still forget to plug back in the 4,6,or 8 pin power connector to the Mobo, especially if it is kind of hidden like it is on yours.
m
l
July 4, 2012 5:01:55 AM

i've checked all the cords, both 24-pin atx and 8-pin cpu were connected. fyi, when i disconnected the 8-pin cpu power cord, the system will operate except no POST msg since the cpu is not powered.does that mean anything?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:51:06 AM

Make sure the power from the power supply to the motherboard is in the right way, make sure everything is the right way... and please make sure that the power supply is set so the power is going through so if it's flipped to 0 flip it to |
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:52:18 AM

Make sure everything is plugged in properly and make sure that the power button on the case is plugged in in the right place... reference to the motherboards manual.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 3:36:01 PM

nazzzmi said:
i've checked all the cords, both 24-pin atx and 8-pin cpu were connected. fyi, when i disconnected the 8-pin cpu power cord, the system will operate except no POST msg since the cpu is not powered.does that mean anything?

the atx should only have 4 plugs in not 8 so check that and if 8 are plugged in take out 4, I have a 8 pin connection but i only use 4 and it works perfectly. guess that was a mistake made by the motherboard makers or something
July 4, 2012 4:39:12 PM

Best answer selected by nazzzmi.
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:39:20 PM

hey broseephus & PanicMaster85, i really appreciate ur help..thanks. but i've done all ur suggestions but still got the same result. i guessing that the real problem lies in my mobo. maybe i've done something that damaged the mobo accidently during the cleaning process..so, it's time to find new one.. T^T thanks again..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 4:42:42 PM

no problem really hope everything works out, if you need help finding a durable mobo just say and ill link you to one!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 4:45:25 PM

hope this helps have a good one, if you ever have any more problems just be sure to post it if I see it ill be more than happy to help
m
l
!