Sign in with
Your question

System shut down randomly, wont turn back on.

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 4:54:49 AM

I built my first computer about 2 ,omths ago. Yesterday while my brother was playing n it, it shut off without warning with a popping sound. I tried multiple times and it won't turn back on ( no lights turning on, fans turning, or hdd spinning up). There is no smell of burnt plastic, no burn marks, and it has cooled down to room temperature and still won't turn on. I tried swapping the power supply with no result. Specs:
Antec 902 case
AMD FX6000
HIS Radeon 6850
Gigabyte motherboard
4x 4gb RipJaws ddr3 RAM
1tb seagate hdd
Superwritemaster(?) cd/dvd drive
Okia 550ATX
a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2012 7:29:37 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Before I start ranting here, are you absolutely sure the circuit breaker in the house did not trip? You can plug a light into the outlet and it works right? If so, read on... if not, reset your circuit breaker outside (or wherever) and ignore the rest.

I wish we could've welcomed you about three months ago. Had you allowed some of the knowledgeble folk here at Tom's look over your build, they would've pushed for a different PSU. I've never heard of the PSU you show and I've read quite a few reviews over the years - I could find no listings (other than sales) in a quick search for that PSU's specs.
My first inclination is that your PSU took out your mobo when it went - probably find heat marks on or under the 24pin connector I would guess without actually looking (it's where I would look first). Just a suspicion mind you...
a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2012 7:46:19 AM

take out the video card and see if the pc powers up with a new power supply. with the vidoe card out use your nose to smell for any burnt parts. (you should be able to do that with the ps.) most time a pop will be a fuse or a cap in the power supply.
!