Sign in with
Your question

Lenovo P9 cord to PSU?

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 12:45:24 AM

Hi,

my friend just bought a lenovo K410 and I was trying to help him upgrade the PSU to 430w.

He bought a 430w PSU to replace the stock 280w PSU.

After connecting everything we ran into a problem, the Power button/fan control uses a different connector a P9 adapter with 3 pins

Coming from the stock PSU was this:

What could I do? I dont know of any PSUs that come with a P9 3 pin for fan control.

Is there an adapter for the molex?

More about : lenovo cord psu

a c 137 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 2:04:41 AM

The number "P9" is of no real help, likely a numbering system for that PSU's connectors - which are numbered P1-P9. I'm unaware of any adapters and the plug is somewhat confusing to me as to how it works. If color coded properly, you have +5v/G/VSB+5v - got it but it is funky. This will be interesting but it seems your board standby power is through that header (?). I would look to jump the purple wire from the 24 pin to there (Is the purple wire missing from the 24 pin on the original PSU?) The other lines (ground and +5v) can be obtained anywhere.
BEWARE: I am assuming Lenovo is using the standard color coding but there is no guarantee and following my suggestions may get you in trouble.

My best suggestion here, try without that plug in just to see what happens
m
l
November 11, 2012 2:17:50 AM

C12Friedman said:
The number "P9" is of no real help, likely a numbering system for that PSU's connectors - which are numbered P1-P9. I'm unaware of any adapters and the plug is somewhat confusing to me as to how it works. If color coded properly, you have +5v/G/VSB+5v - got it but it is funky. This will be interesting but it seems your board standby power is through that header (?). I would look to jump the purple wire from the 24 pin to there (Is the purple wire missing from the 24 pin on the original PSU?) The other lines (ground and +5v) can be obtained anywhere.
BEWARE: I am assuming Lenovo is using the standard color coding but there is no guarantee and following my suggestions may get you in trouble.

My best suggestion here, try without that plug in just to see what happens

That picture shows it coming from the PSU. The purple wire doesn't go to the power button/serve any real purpose.... well none that I see. Only the black and red are used

The part going to the button looks like this:

(the ones on the right)

m
l
Related resources
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 2:36:11 AM

Those are standard fan extenders. It's the purple wire that has me baffled - normally a motherboard gets all of it's standby power through the 24pin... why does Lenovo have a second place for standby along with additional 5v? Very strange this board your friend has.
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:25:23 AM

Don't know if this helps... this is the part that goes to the Power button

Need the adapter for that
m
l
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 12, 2012 4:17:15 AM

If you're ready for it, I'm going to introduce you to the wonderful world of modding...
I am running late at the moment but, unless you kick and scream, I'll get you the links after I get back home... it's not too difficult to do what I'm thinking of here.
m
l
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 12, 2012 6:57:02 AM

Here's what I've discovered so far
"The new power supply has connectors for everything else but the same 3 wires P9 connector. After tracing the wiring, I found that the P9 supplies power for the LEDs behind the front selector switch. With the P9 connected, the LEDs light up and change color according to the switch posistion. Without the P9 connection, the LED is off, but does not affect the switch operation.
So if you don't care about those LED lights, forget about the P9 connector"
found here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Se...
Like I said, try it without the connector. If you really want those lights to work, I think I can get you there but it will take a little work on your part

m
l
November 14, 2012 9:10:03 PM

C12Friedman said:
Here's what I've discovered so far
"The new power supply has connectors for everything else but the same 3 wires P9 connector. After tracing the wiring, I found that the P9 supplies power for the LEDs behind the front selector switch. With the P9 connected, the LEDs light up and change color according to the switch posistion. Without the P9 connection, the LED is off, but does not affect the switch operation.
So if you don't care about those LED lights, forget about the P9 connector"
found here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Se...
Like I said, try it without the connector. If you really want those lights to work, I think I can get you there but it will take a little work on your part

Thanks, does this also effect the USB and earphone ports on the front of the tower as well?

I guess I can try disconnecting the wire with the computer as it is now and see if it will turn on..
m
l
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 14, 2012 9:43:01 PM

error46146 said:
Thanks, does this also effect the USB and earphone ports on the front of the tower as well?

Those are on a different header on the motherboard and that connector should have no impact on their use
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:02:13 AM

So I disconnected the wire, and everything seems to be running fine.. power button works, USB ports work, everything is good except for the light and the fan speed control.. Looks like I should be able to go forward with this upgrade

Thanks for your help :) 
m
l
!