Rich

I'm up to level 48 with LW and my Rogue is at level 13, it seems that I'm
levelling faster than the stuff I can make can have any use.

To get to make stuff that I want to wear (ie the level 10-13 stuff) I have
to get level 75 in leatherworking (with a 55 piece, and 65 piece in
between).

However, the amount of grinding I'm going to have to do to level from 48 to
75 where most items need 8 thin leather means that by the time I've reached
the required LW level, my character will allready have outgrown the related
character level associated with that piece, and, there is usually a better
piece in a shop that is suited to my chars level! Another thing is that in
the initial areas you hardly get thin leather with scraps being more
common, this makes it even more difficult to keep LW up with your levelling
speed early on.

Any ideas? Is there a trick to catching up the LW skill to match your
player?

Shane

On Sat, 14 May 2005 22:37:46 GMT, Rich <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com>
wrote:

>I'm up to level 48 with LW and my Rogue is at level 13, it seems that I'm
>levelling faster than the stuff I can make can have any use.
>
>To get to make stuff that I want to wear (ie the level 10-13 stuff) I have
>to get level 75 in leatherworking (with a 55 piece, and 65 piece in
>between).
>
>However, the amount of grinding I'm going to have to do to level from 48 to
>75 where most items need 8 thin leather means that by the time I've reached
>the required LW level, my character will allready have outgrown the related
>character level associated with that piece, and, there is usually a better
>piece in a shop that is suited to my chars level! Another thing is that in
>the initial areas you hardly get thin leather with scraps being more
>common, this makes it even more difficult to keep LW up with your levelling
>speed early on.
>
>Any ideas? Is there a trick to catching up the LW skill to match your
>player?

What is your skinning score? Remember you have to train after 150.
Here's what I did assuming you are alliance (if not, horde player step
in). I found when all I was getting was scraps most of the time, it
was time to move on to a "higher" zone. At 13 skinning boars and
jackals in Westfall, 15 skinning boars in Redridge, at 19 or 20;
cross over the river into Duskwood along The Hushed bank (lots and
lots o' wolves), you can even get a quest to kill said wolves from the
camp where Sven is. They also can drop green items which you can sell
at AH if you can't use) The hushed bank will be the last area where
you will skin light leather as you are about to move on to heavy so
wrap it up by then.

As for how to grind, well, I found the item that took the least amount
of reagents and leather pieces to grind. Sometimes you just have to
eat it a little in coin to grind an item which required less leather.
Money wise you are likely to take a hit if you are serious on leather
unless you play this game like a maniac and can farm coin. I am a
casual player, I have kept to level, but you'd be surprised how much
play time is consumed with leather harvesting. If you are lucky you
will find MoBs that drop money and can be skinned (Nightbanes in
Duskwood are such a creature).

In the end, it's all about time and money. If you are behind, you need
to do less questing and more harvesting. Avoid making green things to
try and level, orange is preferred 1 item-one point skill, yellow can
be as good as orange but the count will skip through two or three
items randomly (like the lotto, decide if you want to gamble)in an
effort to get more from the harvest. If you must grind, find something
you can also grind exp out of so you are at least getting something
for your trouble.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Rich <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> I'm up to level 48 with LW and my Rogue is at level 13, it seems
> that I'm levelling faster than the stuff I can make can have any
> use.
>
> To get to make stuff that I want to wear (ie the level 10-13 stuff)
> I have to get level 75 in leatherworking (with a 55 piece, and 65
> piece in between).
>
> However, the amount of grinding I'm going to have to do to level
> from 48 to 75 where most items need 8 thin leather means that by
> the time I've reached the required LW level, my character will
> allready have outgrown the related character level associated with
> that piece, and, there is usually a better piece in a shop that is
> suited to my chars level! Another thing is that in the initial
> areas you hardly get thin leather with scraps being more common,
> this makes it even more difficult to keep LW up with your levelling
> speed early on.
>
> Any ideas? Is there a trick to catching up the LW skill to match
> your player?

Skin everything you can, and make items out of the "cheapest" recipes
that you have, then sell em:) When I say "cheapest", I don't mean
selling price, I mean cheapest in terms of the amount of leather you're
using and the cost of reagents that will still give you a skillup on
producing it. My Rogue alt is 127 skill at lvl 21 and is wearing 3 items
that he made for himself, plus 4 medium armor kits, and he hasn't really
been concentrating on LW since lvl 18.

Don't worry, it's early days yet. If you just keep in mind that you want
to skillup you LW at every opportunity, you'll get there.

Alternatively, you could ditch LW for mining and concentrate on making
money, that way you can buy the stuff that *other* people have made, and
you'll easily make your mount money when the time comes for that. Later
on (after 40 or so), you can get back into LW and skill it up real
quick.

HTH

--
Doc
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer...

"Rich" <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> wrote in message
> I'm up to level 48 with LW and my Rogue is at level 13, it seems that I'm
> levelling faster than the stuff I can make can have any use.

You have to dedicate time for LW, and like someone mentioned skin everything
you can. Make this a habit and you will effectively lvl up. My LW has
always been ahead of me. I could make stuff that I still could not wear and
usually my rogue friend who was near my lvl benefitted and still benefits
from this. When you reach lvl 30 or above go to Stranglethorn Vale that is
the best place for LW. Oddly enough I never did the LW quests there,
however at lvl 30 I went to the "Gorilla area" near BB and being a shaman I
wolf formed and was able to skin high lvl gorillas that people would leave.
At lvl 40 you want to go do the Wild Leather quests, and you will eventually
specialize in one of the LW areas.
Anyway the best thing right now is to put time into it, you'll catch up
easily.

"El Durango" <El_Durango@yah00.c0m> wrote in message

> You have to dedicate time for LW, and like someone mentioned skin
> everything you can. Make this a habit and you will effectively lvl up.
> My LW has always been ahead of me. I could make stuff that I still could
> not wear and usually my rogue friend who was near my lvl benefitted and
> still benefits from this. When you reach lvl 30 or above go to
> Stranglethorn Vale that is the best place for LW. Oddly enough I never
> did the LW quests there, however at lvl 30 I went to the "Gorilla area"
> near BB and being a shaman I wolf formed and was able to skin high lvl
> gorillas that people would leave. At lvl 40 you want to go do the Wild
> Leather quests, and you will eventually specialize in one of the LW areas.
> Anyway the best thing right now is to put time into it, you'll catch up
> easily.

Thanks for the advice.

I've now reached lvl 78 by cheating a little bit as I was determined not to
level my character too high for some of the equipment. So I employed my lvl
42 Druid to hunt off the North coast of Darkshore and spent 2 boring hours
farming thin leather which I posted to the Rogue. Skinning is seriously easy
to level up so I'm not worried about the Rogue missing out, not when I've
still got all the Darkshore quests to do yet anyway (I'll be there a while).

My aim is to stop when I've got the 95 requirement for the Murloc Scale
items (obtainable from DS), at which point I think my lvl 13 Rogue will have
the max he can wear for that level.

Cheers!
Rich.