Slave flash for digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 7, 2005 9:51:46 AM

A couple years ago I bought a digital slave flash trigger to use one of
my old flash units for my small digital camera. I hoped it would allow
me to get decent pictures during things like wedding receptions where
people were 30 ft away. The flash unit on my small digital camera does
not have near the penitration for these types of pictures.

The slave I bought was not sensitive enough and would usually only work
in limited cases where it was able to see the bounce flash of the small
camera. If you took photos in a large space or out of doors, it did
not go off.

I have been looking at the Digi-slave Deluxe 3000 Slave Flash for
Digital Cameras (Guide No. 110') from B & H for $130 and Metz 28 CS-2
Digital Slave Flash for Digital Cameras also for $130 from B & H. Does
anyone have experience with these and other solutions and comments
about these flashes as far as flash power relative to the old flash
units like my Minolta Auto 280?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:47:01 PM

eganders@yahoo.com writes:
> I have been looking at the Digi-slave Deluxe 3000 Slave Flash for
> Digital Cameras (Guide No. 110') from B & H for $130 and Metz 28
> CS-2 Digital Slave Flash for Digital Cameras also for $130 from B &
> H. Does anyone have experience with these and other solutions and
> comments about these flashes as far as flash power relative to the
> old flash units like my Minolta Auto 280?

The Minolta 280 has a GN of 60 (ft.) or 18 (m.) - which is pretty
weak.

I would go for a couple of Vivitar 283s or 285s (GN 220, ft.) and use
a cheap radio slave flash trigger setup as discussed on this web page:
http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/gt301b.html

You can get the Vivitars for less that $40 each off eBay, and
the radio slave kits for less than $30, which means that
flash + trigger is less han $70. That's about half of what the
Digi-slave Deluxe 3000 Slave Flash for Digital Cameras will cost
you - and the Vivitar has twice the power.