Sign in with
Your question

Seeking Advice

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 7:14:07 AM

Hi there,

I want to ask a question that i might need in the future.

My current system is:

Processor - Intel Core i7 950 3,66Ghz

Graphic Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX465

Memory - Corsair Dominator 3x2Gb 1666Mhz

Motherboard - Asus Rampage Gene

Power Supply - Coolermaster RealPower 620w

Now the question is that if i "ever" get the money to change something in that system.

What is needed to upgrade from what i mentioned? That is my current system and i might be able upgrade in the future if i get the cash so please tell me what is normal and what is needed of an upgrade.

Last question:

On almost every single game i play with that system,my fan really starts spinning fast. Now i am not sure if its the CPU or the GPU fan. But i am pressuming its the GPU fan.

^Is there any reason why it is so loud?

Thank you very much.

More about : seeking advice

November 11, 2012 7:29:59 AM

HI, Maybe only the graphics card. I think that you still have a good setup. I assume it's a Rampage II Gene.
November 11, 2012 7:51:50 AM

Seconded - the GTX465s did get a bit noisy at load. It's still a capable enough card, but there's plenty of room for improvement there, whereas you wouldn't get any noticeable benefit from a CPU upgrade. The other option is to add a new component, an SSD. Much faster and more reliable than a hard disk, though more expensive too. £80 will get you a 120GB Vertex 4 or Samsung 830 for Windows, software and games, then your media (music, videos, stuff where loading speeds/performance isn't an issue) goes onto the hard disk.
Related resources
November 11, 2012 8:49:22 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Seconded - the GTX465s did get a bit noisy at load. It's still a capable enough card, but there's plenty of room for improvement there, whereas you wouldn't get any noticeable benefit from a CPU upgrade. The other option is to add a new component, an SSD. Much faster and more reliable than a hard disk, though more expensive too. £80 will get you a 120GB Vertex 4 or Samsung 830 for Windows, software and games, then your media (music, videos, stuff where loading speeds/performance isn't an issue) goes onto the hard disk.

Thank you for the reply.

Well seems its the GPU thats noisy >.>

What do you prefer upgrading first in the future though?

The GPU or the Hard Drive?

Thanks
November 11, 2012 9:10:19 AM

I think the SSD - more appreciable improvement over what you have at the moment. I don't know how much you already know about SSDs but incase you're not aware, they'll do nothing for your framerates (so games won't play smoother or be more responsive) - it's purely for loading times, boot times, general Windows performance. Games that take ages to load new maps, saves etc will be a lot quicker with an SSD. Things like virus scans and searches will be extremely fast (except obviously if you're scanning/searching your hard disk instead).

The graphics card upgrade really depends on how much the noise is bothering you and on the extent to which you're needing higher framerates. I've owned a lot of powerful, noisy cards and it generally doesn't bother me because the music/engine/gunshots/explosions/etc from the game are louder so I don't notice it.
November 11, 2012 9:20:51 AM

Well it depends what you want: do you sit there in windows saying "my OS is slow" or do you sit in-game and say "I wish my fps was higher/my gpu was quieter?"
November 11, 2012 10:38:58 AM

I myself would go with the graphics card since it will improve the FPS you get while gaming by quite a bit. Anyways SSD's are fine but I still prefer the traditional hard drive since they do last longer than most of them :lol: 
November 11, 2012 11:25:03 AM

My loading times/Scans etc. Are fast enought.

Im thinking getting both.

And problem is they are still very expensive. Specially the SSD.

Also can you use a hard drive with an SSD together? one hard drive disk C for example and one SSD Disk A?
November 11, 2012 11:28:42 AM

Sure you can use hard drives and an SSD together, one just needs to be the primary drive where the OS is stored and for that I recommend the SSD since you will get real fast boot times.
November 11, 2012 11:32:45 AM

It is more expensive than a hard disk, but you wouldn't believe how these have come down in price. Just a year ago, a 120GB 830 was setting you back £200, now £80! I spent £200 almost three years ago on an 80GB Intel X25M which is half as fast as these new drives. So it's not as bad as it seems :-)
November 11, 2012 4:25:02 PM

^Thank you for the suggestions! Thats all i need to know.

I will buy both if i ever have the money.

Cheers!
!