Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Time Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 1, 2012 7:37:06 AM

Hello,

I am building my very first pc. This is my shopping list so far:

- Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155
BX80637I73770
- Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3
1333 ATX - BOXDZ77BH55K
- Crucial 16GB Kit 2X8GB PC3-10600 1333MHZ
DDR3 240 Pin DIMM Unbuffered
CT2KIT102464BA1339
- Zalman Performa Cpu Cooler
CNPS10XPERFORMA
- Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower
Computer Case
- Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
- Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD /-RW Dual
Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

Still unsure about video/audio cards, power supply and overall compatability.
Any suggestions for missing components, or reasons not to get what is listed?

More about : time build

July 1, 2012 7:50:37 AM

intel does not make there mb you get a better mb if you go msi/asus/asrock/gigbyte.
the 670 is the best price for nvidia card right now for high end gaming. if the 660 comes out at the price point that been posted it be a good starter game card. pick up a good named brand 750w unit.right now cosair power supplys are onsale on new egg.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 8:15:49 AM

Better build PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.85 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1326.73
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2012 8:20:48 AM

If you're planning to use your computer for gaming / browsing then please save your money and go for i5-3550 or i5-3570k, which is a little faster but mainly able to overclock past 4.0ghz with a good cpu cooler (such as the one you're planning to get). Also get 2x4=8gb ram, as current games usually don't even utilize 4gb of ram so 8gb should be more than enough for years to come.

If you're going to heavily use professional applications and / or heavy number crunching then an i7 will probably be better due to a little more cache and perhaps you'll actually need 16gb of ram, otherwise forget about it.

The rest of the build looks awesome, what about a hard drive?

For a video card you'll need to provide your remaining budget (if exists) and your screen resolution.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 11:45:12 AM

smorizio said:
intel does not make there mb you get a better mb if you go msi/asus/asrock/gigbyte.
the 670 is the best price for nvidia card right now for high end gaming. if the 660 comes out at the price point that been posted it be a good starter game card. pick up a good named brand 750w unit.right now cosair power supplys are onsale on new egg.


Thanks for the advice, looks like lots of choices to go through for the mobo.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 12:23:24 PM

doron said:
If you're planning to use your computer for gaming / browsing then please save your money and go for i5-3550 or i5-3570k, which is a little faster but mainly able to overclock past 4.0ghz with a good cpu cooler (such as the one you're planning to get). Also get 2x4=8gb ram, as current games usually don't even utilize 4gb of ram so 8gb should be more than enough for years to come.

If you're going to heavily use professional applications and / or heavy number crunching then an i7 will probably be better due to a little more cache and perhaps you'll actually need 16gb of ram, otherwise forget about it.

The rest of the build looks awesome, what about a hard drive?

For a video card you'll need to provide your remaining budget (if exists) and your screen resolution.



I do like to do a little gaming, ok a lot of gaming, but that is not the driving force for this build. I am starting to design my own games, web sites and multimedia content using mainly Adobe products; Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc...
Currently I am using Adobe CS4 Creative Suite but plan on upgrading to CS6 with this build. I have a bad habit of keeping several large file programs open and running for days on end, I am surprised that my current 8-year old pc is still kicking. That is why I have chosen the i7 series. I do not overclock, so I figured the i7-3770 would be perfect. I chose the aftermarket fan just to be nice to the cpu since I will be working it for long periods of time.

As for the hard drive, I was thinking of a 128GB Crucial internal ssd, because of the speed, and a 1TB Seagate external hard drive for back-up and archive so I don't need to store all my large files on the ssd since it is still so expensive.

I am trying to keep the cost under $2000, but I am striving for long life and upgradeability as well as performance. I guess I will need a decent video card, but I am mainly concerned about the fps of the content I create and the ability to accurately text across multiple platforms. It would be nice to have dual monitor capability but I can do without it since I work for myself and have a good deal of patience, but I do want to be able to use my 32-inch flat screen for video and gaming.

Sorry to ramble, let me know if I am still on the right track.

Thanks for your input :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:03:04 PM

In that case the i7 is best for you i assumed you were trying to build a gaming rig my bad :pfff:  that's what i get for assuming lol sorry about that :( 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:18:19 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
70.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
225.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
50.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
319.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
50.00 2 kits for 4 matched dimms. (16g of ram).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
90.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
130.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-...
190.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
400.00
that 1574 plus tax and any shipping cost.
the 670 or the amd 7000 line of cards it the best bang for the buck right now. most games and photo editing have been written for nvidia video cards..
the intel ssd or a samsung ssd.. they make there own drives..i have the 520 and it work right out of the box no errors no firmware upgrade needed. no issues. the samsung ram is not cheap ram it well built ram. as your not going to over clock the system you dont need those colored heat sinks. if you think you might oc the pc then use lp ran like crucal or gkills.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 8:32:11 PM

bigcyco1 said:
In that case the i7 is best for you i assumed you were trying to build a gaming rig my bad :pfff:  that's what i get for assuming lol sorry about that :( 



No worries, I didn't mention what I was building for in my initial post, and it seems that most of these forums are full of gamers so I understand your assumption.

I have done a little more research and came up with a slightly different build:


$399.49 - EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card

$316.99 - Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155 BX80637I73770

$159.99 - ASUS P8Z77-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

$153.76 - 16GB Kit 2X8GB PC3-10600 1333MHZ DDR3 240 Pin DIMM Unbuffered

$119.99 - Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2

$99.99 - Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case

$99.99 - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

$99.24 - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply

$89.99 - Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBX1000100

$37.99 - Zalman Performa Cpu Cooler

$24.80 - Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000

$23.99 - ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

$22.99 - Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

$19.99 - 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit

$13.99 - Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 Studio Series - Crania
------------------------
$9.98 - Shipping
------------------------
$1,693.16 - Total cost


I did not shop around, this is all on Amazon, so I can probably piece it out for a bit less. Shipping would be free but two of the items are through Amizon but from another seller.

I am still unsure about compatibility and functionality, seems like it should work well for my needs for years due to upgradeability, but I have been wrong before and predicting trends in the pc world is not what I like to research. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is something wrong. I am sure I will be reconfigureing this for another couple of weeks before I am ready to buy.

Thanks for your help :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 8:47:10 PM

smorizio said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
70.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
225.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
50.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
319.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
50.00 2 kits for 4 matched dimms. (16g of ram).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
90.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
130.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-...
190.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
400.00
that 1574 plus tax and any shipping cost.
the 670 or the amd 7000 line of cards it the best bang for the buck right now. most games and photo editing have been written for nvidia video cards..
the intel ssd or a samsung ssd.. they make there own drives..i have the 520 and it work right out of the box no errors no firmware upgrade needed. no issues. the samsung ram is not cheap ram it well built ram. as your not going to over clock the system you dont need those colored heat sinks. if you think you might oc the pc then use lp ran like crucal or gkills.



Thanks for the tip on the 670, found one on Amazon; $399.49 - EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR).
m
0
l

Best solution

July 1, 2012 9:08:42 PM

WW713N said:
No worries, I didn't mention what I was building for in my initial post, and it seems that most of these forums are full of gamers so I understand your assumption.

I have done a little more research and came up with a slightly different build:


$399.49 - EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card

$316.99 - Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155 BX80637I73770

$159.99 - ASUS P8Z77-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

$153.76 - 16GB Kit 2X8GB PC3-10600 1333MHZ DDR3 240 Pin DIMM Unbuffered

$119.99 - Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2

$99.99 - Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case

$99.99 - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

$99.24 - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply

$89.99 - Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBX1000100

$37.99 - Zalman Performa Cpu Cooler

$24.80 - Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000

$23.99 - ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

$22.99 - Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

$19.99 - 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit

$13.99 - Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 Studio Series - Crania
------------------------
$9.98 - Shipping
------------------------
$1,693.16 - Total cost


I did not shop around, this is all on Amazon, so I can probably piece it out for a bit less. Shipping would be free but two of the items are through Amizon but from another seller.

I am still unsure about compatibility and functionality, seems like it should work well for my needs for years due to upgradeability, but I have been wrong before and predicting trends in the pc world is not what I like to research. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is something wrong. I am sure I will be reconfigureing this for another couple of weeks before I am ready to buy.

Thanks for your help :) 
Everything looks good to me except your motherboard. Here what i suggest any of these four motherboards take your pick all are solid and offer lots of future expandability it's best not to get Micro ATX motherboard doesn't offer very much expandability for your needs and it's also always best not to skimp on your motherboard trust me you will thank yourself in the long run ;)  MOBO:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
July 1, 2012 11:01:54 PM

the drive you picked out for your data drive is an ext drive. you need an internal hard drive.
if your looking for back up for your main drive use one of these and a stock drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the portable units i find..people have a tendency to drop them or kock them over and then come here for help to get there data off. or if they fail (could be the contoller card of the case or the drive.) there a pain to open. with what i posted there just the sata cable and power. and the unit will slide out of the case.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:34:11 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Everything looks good to me except your motherboard. Here what i suggest any of these four motherboards take your pick all are solid and offer lots of future expandability it's best not to get Micro ATX motherboard doesn't offer very much expandability for your needs and it's also always best not to skimp on your motherboard trust me you will thank yourself in the long run ;)  MOBO:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Switched to the:

$209.99 - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and

$79.99 - Hitachi Deskstar 3.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gbp/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive - 0F13180

Got a mouse $1 more expensive but saved $5 in shipping.

New total including shipping is:

$1,729.17

Thanks for the advice, I will now run it past a few more eyes, not that I don't trust you, just trying to be thorough. ;) 
Then I will work on pricing it a bit cheaper, probably have a new system up and running in a couple of weeks thanks to your help.

There are lots of online tutorials for bulding a pc, are there any that you know of that you would recommend? I started this build using the advice from:



Pretty easy to follow so far, just wondered if you might know of something else. It is always good to have options :) 

Thanks again!!

m
0
l
July 2, 2012 11:24:19 PM

there are a few good how to build a pc on youtube.
put the mb standoff is first and with just the mb do a dry fit. if they all line up then put the cpu/ram/heat sink on the mb and then power the mb outside the case. if it power on then power it down and install it into the case. before you installl the os let the unit sit there in the bios and watch the cpu temps. if the fan and cpu paste is on right the temp should sit around 30-50c. depending on your case airflow and the temps in your house. what your looking for is temps going over 50c and keep on climbing...that tell you that the cpu cooler not on right. if the temp are fine then check that the bios is up to date. depending on when the mb was made and shipped to you it could have the stock bios and not bios patches. use a usb stick and use the bios update screen. when you do the last update and hit f5 and save and exit. install the os and drivers and check that your not missing any. then let windows do it updates.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 5:02:10 AM

There are many guides and reviews available from online magazines and consumer review websites. Samples include:

PC World
PC Magazine
Maximum PC
Custom PC.I really can't think of any i recommend newegg has a helpful 3 video step tutorial on building PC but it skips parts so it's not a great full proof tutorial but it might help PART1 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
PART2 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
PART3 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 10:36:14 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
July 8, 2012 10:56:33 AM

Best answer selected by WW713N.
m
0
l
!