ATI Radeon VE

G

I have a Gateway computer and tried installing an ATI Radeon VE (32MB DDR, dual display) video card but the computer is not recognizing the new card. The computer should automatically disable the built in on board video card but is not doing this. Has anyone come across the same problem? I tried updating drivers, asking for support help but to no avail. Any comments?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Does the manual say that it automatically disables the onboard video if u put a new one in?? Most mobo's you have to disable it either through bios or jumpers. I've never seen one that automatically disables onboard video/sound.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Don't listen to that other guy.
Most OEM computers with OEM motherboards DO automatically disable the onboard video when you insert a Video card...although it can be a pain in the ass when it doesnt. You can try to do the following:
Diasble 'Palette Snoop' in the BIOS (if you have it).
Go to 'device manager' and select the onboard video. Select "Do not use this device (disable)." Press "OK" and then "OK"...the computer will then ask you to reboot...select "Cancel." Then shut-down your computer instead of rebooting. Insert your new video card and then start your computer. Install all appropriate drivers.

If that doesnt work, try this:
Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties'...click on the 'aettings' tab, then the 'advance' button...Click on the 'adapter' tab, then the 'change' button. On the first Wizard screen, hit 'next'. On the next screen, select "display a list of all the drivers......" then hit next. On the next screen, select 'Show all Hardware', then highlight (Standard Display Types) at the top, then in the right window, select 'Standard Display Adapter VGA, Microsoft'...then hit Next...Then you'll be asked to reboot, slect "cancel" or "no"....shut down the computer and install the new video card and drivers.

Hope that works.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_e_Mouse on 07/23/01 10:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>