Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply smells burned.

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 9:07:54 AM

My power supply is iMaster PRO 500w. I have been using it since May 28,2012 and it didn't gave me any problem except for its noisy fans. Then i bought a sapphire HD 7770 last November 4. Everything went fine, but a moment ago while i'm playing sleeping dogs i smell something burning then i put my nose near to the PSU and the burning smell really came from it. I didn't shut down my computer cause i'm guessing the game is stressing my PSU, then after like 4 hours. The strong smell came off, but if i smell it near the PSU, i can still smell it, even though it smells burned everything is going fin and i can still use my computer. Btw, my computer is always open like 22 hours a day.

Here is my specs.
Intel G630
PSU iMaster PRO 500w
Asus P8H61 M-LX
4GB RAM
Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7770.

Edit:
I already bought a new PSU, "Seasonic S12II 520w". The smelling burn still occurs, so do you think its the motherboard? or what causes it?
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 11:29:59 AM

I had a low end ps fry after only four days. Hope you have a spare. If not, check craigslist for one. I recommend antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, enermax, xfx, and some models of other brands, such as fsp. I don't know who makes your iMaster.
m
l
November 11, 2012 12:08:19 PM

yeah, i thought its a branded cpu, but after i bought and did a research there is no name for it, almost look like a generic. Mistake on my side.

So you think i can't use it anymore?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 12:15:15 PM

Hi :) 

We see (or smell) this all the time on customers machines in my shops...

Burned smell = drop psu in bin = fit new

So NO you cannot use it anymore unless you want to risk your motherboard and cpu etc..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:18:29 PM
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 8:09:23 PM

Let the shop replace your old one and use it for a spare. All the ps makers have low end models. I would go with either one of the antecs, but corsair and enermax are also good.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:54:40 PM

I already bought a new PSU, "Seasonic S12II 520w". The smelling burn still occurs, so do you think its the motherboard? or what causes it?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 15, 2012 2:38:16 PM

Could be a burnoff of extra resin somewhere, either the board or ps. When the ps fries, usually smoke comes out and it smells really nasty. If you've noticed no smoke coming from the ps, then it could be coming from somewhere else. You're going to have to isolate it somehow.
m
l
!