Sign in with
Your question

Help With ATI I/O Communications Processor SMBus Controller update

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 11:54:24 AM

Can anyone help me finally get this driver updated? I'm sick of searching and only getting links to download driver finders that want money to get me the right update. Funny thing is, Windows 7 says it's up to date, but the one driver finder program I did use says it's ancient. LOL

I think this may be part of the weird issues I'm having with booting & crashes. I'd like to have it updated so I know for sure.

I'm not sure what specs you need about my desktop, though.

It's an HP quad core with AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, NVIDIA GEForce315 graphics/video card, 6 gig RAM, 1 terabyte hard drive, 64-bit Win7 Pro OS.

This is from that CPUID program (I removed the serial numbers):

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version 6.09
date 09/07/2010

DMI System Information
manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
product HPE-400Z
version unknown
serial
UUID

DMI Baseboard
vendor FOXCONN
model 2A92
revision 1.01
serial unknown

DMI System Enclosure
manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
chassis type Desktop
chassis serial unknown

DMI Processor
manufacturer AMD
model AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
clock speed 2900.0 MHz
FSB speed 200.0 MHz
multiplier 14.5x
July 4, 2012 9:46:48 AM

Go to the HP website for up to date drivers. If you can't find it and Windows 7 says its up to date, then believe it. What exactly are your boot issues/crashes? With further info, we can help you troubleshoot to find the exact cause that may or may not be driver related.
m
l
July 6, 2012 6:58:53 PM

Win7 says it's all up to date and I can't find it on the HP site. I ended up uninstalling it & rebooting. My PC auto installed it for me. I assume it's up to date now, but who knows. That driver finder program was right about my NVIDIA driver being out of date (why those don't auto update I'll never know).

OK, my boot/crash issues:

I have occasionally had a few times where I shut the PC down & went to bed. The next day it was still trying to shut down (blue screen with spinning circle saying "shutting down"). I would have to unplug it to get it to turn off. I thought it was just a glitch because it wasn't constant.

Over this past weekend, I started having stranger issues. The PC would freeze and when I clicked CTRL+ALT+DEL, it would take a few seconds for anything to happen. I would get a black screen and an error box message that said "the logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch". I would also get many time that windows explorer would just shut down unexpectedly.

Then on Monday my PC would not boot at all. It would turn on, but the monitor was not getting any signal so I would have a black screen & the monitor would go into sleep mode. I was able to get it to boot all the way twice and then it just stopped altogether. After several tries, I was able to get to safe mode and run scans. I'm using Avast, MBAM, SAS, RegSeeker, CCleaner & AdAware (just the safe browsing component). Scans showed a bunch of trojans. All are removed except PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ & Adware.Zugo.

I don't know what to do now. I'm afraid my PC is really infected and I just don't have the programs to find and remove everything.
m
l
July 7, 2012 7:39:05 AM

Well, this is a crap shoot. Your problems could have been caused by serious infection. Best case to do is back up all your data and then reinstall windows from scratch. After its freshly installed, buy a good/decent anti-virus (I recommend PC Doctor or McAfee- stay away from Norton). Once you have it installed, run a deep deep scan of every drive and file possible. You want to make sure that there are no viruses hiding and waiting to reinstall themselves.

After that, if you still suffer from crashes, its time to run diagnostics. Start with a HDD diagnostic scan. Look up your manufacturer of the hdd and go to their website; they typically have free diagnostic scanners available for download.

Next, download memtest86+ and scan each stick of RAM individually for several hours. If any errors come back, then chances are you have a bad stick of RAM. This could cause system instability.

Another possibility is that your PSU is going out. I have no idea how to effectively test this, so another user will have to comment on it.

This isn't all the testing, but its a good start of what could be causing your problems.
m
l
!