How to empty the battery of Nokia 3210?

Hello,

I've got a very old model of Nokia3210 and it actually still works fine. The
only problem is when the battery runs a bit lower and I make a phone call,
it will be turned off all of a sudden because of low battery. I can turn it
on again, but there is not enough battery left to make phone calls. If I
start to charge it again at this point, the battery will be "fully charged"
in a short period of time, but I can't make too many phone calls out of this
"fully-charged" battery.

I can leave it on and wait and wait and wait to let the battery be used up.
When I charge it at this point, I think the battery is indeed fully charged
because I can then use the phone longer.

So I want to be able to empty the battery myself without just letting it dry
itself up before charging it. But how? What do I need? But of course, if
what I need is rather expensive and doesn't justify itself in terms of cost,
I will just buy another cell phone. But still, just want to know how I can
do it.

Thanks

Herbert
8 answers Last reply
More about empty battery nokia 3210

    "Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a very old model of Nokia3210 and it actually still works fine.
    > The
    > only problem is when the battery runs a bit lower and I make a phone call,
    > it will be turned off all of a sudden because of low battery. I can turn
    > it
    > on again, but there is not enough battery left to make phone calls. If I
    > start to charge it again at this point, the battery will be "fully
    > charged"
    > in a short period of time, but I can't make too many phone calls out of
    > this
    > "fully-charged" battery.
    >
    > I can leave it on and wait and wait and wait to let the battery be used
    > up.
    > When I charge it at this point, I think the battery is indeed fully
    > charged
    > because I can then use the phone longer.
    >
    > So I want to be able to empty the battery myself without just letting it
    > dry
    > itself up before charging it. But how? What do I need? But of course, if
    > what I need is rather expensive and doesn't justify itself in terms of
    > cost,
    > I will just buy another cell phone. But still, just want to know how I can
    > do it.

    I imagine you could buy a new battery which can't be that expansive. No idea
    on how to drain out the battery.

    The battery is in fact a series of cells all together. Sounds like one or
    more of them has died sooner than the others. Basically when you discharge
    it, these duff ones empty early and are then reverse charged by the other
    cells.

    Pulling a low current (on standby) is ok as the voltage loss will go up with
    current. As soon as the phone transmits the voltage drops below the point
    where the
    phone circuits work - hence it turns off.

    When you pop the battery on charge, if the phone has
    just switched off the duff cell will be holding the voltage
    down (as its effectively the wrong way round) but the charger will quickly
    'turn it round' , the
    voltage jumps up quickly and the charger thinks its
    finished.

    If you discharge it all very slowly all the cells go flat
    in time and then the charger just does its normal
    cycle.

    Essentially the battery is stuffed. There is one thing you
    can try *BEFORE YOU BIN THE BATTERY*

    Locate the + and - connectors on the battery - and
    using a 12v source *say from a car batteyr charger*
    quickly flick 12v on and off the battery a couple of times
    whilst it is flat. You might get a spark!

    This hideous abuse of the battery is aiming to breakdown
    the crystal bridges that have formed inside the duff
    cells effectively causing them to self discharge. Tha fact that the other
    cells are ok will protect them so long as the current only flows briefly.

    But buying new battery is probbaly what is needed here :)

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:26:58 +0800, "Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com>
    wrote:

    >I've got a very old model of Nokia3210 and it actually still works fine. The
    >only problem is when the battery runs a bit lower and I make a phone call,
    >it will be turned off all of a sudden because of low battery. I can turn it
    >on again, but there is not enough battery left to make phone calls. If I
    >start to charge it again at this point, the battery will be "fully charged"
    >in a short period of time, but I can't make too many phone calls out of this
    >"fully-charged" battery.

    It sounds as if you have a battery that has lived its useful life and
    is pretty much spent if it appears to be full when charged and then
    after only minimal use fails. You probably need to spring for a new
    battery.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:17:17 +0300, Romulus Marius Mare wrote:

    > I imagine you could buy a new battery which can't be that expansive. No idea
    > on how to drain out the battery.

    Get a 6V flashlight bulb, pair of wires, connect them to the battery.
    When the bulb stops glowing the battery is completely drained.

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg

    Il Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:17:17 +0300, "Romulus Marius Mare"
    <romulus_DOT_mare_AT_@interscope.ro> apparentemente scrisse:

    >What do I need? But of course, if
    >> what I need is rather expensive and doesn't justify itself in terms of
    >> cost,
    >> I will just buy another cell phone. But still, just want to know how I can
    >> do it.

    Most table support chargers have a discharger built in.

    --
    Federico Spano`
    http://mate.splinder.com e' stato aggiornato l'8 luglio 2004

    your battery is dead , buy a new one

    In <pan.2004.07.10.07.28.39.691000@ivetva.arg> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> writes:

    >Get a 6V flashlight bulb, pair of wires, connect them to the battery.
    >When the bulb stops glowing the battery is completely drained.

    *not* a good idea. if you go all-the-way down, you'll get a "reverse
    charge" situation of the least-capable cell.

    It discharges first, but the other cells still have power. so they'll
    pump electrons into it, sdrawkcab. very, very, bad - it will completely
    kill that cell, and pretty much destroy any remaining useful life in the
    battery as a whole.

    If you're doing a deep discharge you want to stop at (very, very, roughly,
    depending on battery/cell design) ten percent remaining charge.

    dannyb@panix.com

    or when it says it's fully charged, disconnect the charger and reattach - do
    it 3 or 4 times - I do the same on my sony camcorder
    --

    Jason Brown
    Handheld Gaming Network

    "Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a very old model of Nokia3210 and it actually still works fine.
    The
    > only problem is when the battery runs a bit lower and I make a phone call,
    > it will be turned off all of a sudden because of low battery. I can turn
    it
    > on again, but there is not enough battery left to make phone calls. If I
    > start to charge it again at this point, the battery will be "fully
    charged"
    > in a short period of time, but I can't make too many phone calls out of
    this
    > "fully-charged" battery.
    >
    > I can leave it on and wait and wait and wait to let the battery be used
    up.
    > When I charge it at this point, I think the battery is indeed fully
    charged
    > because I can then use the phone longer.
    >
    > So I want to be able to empty the battery myself without just letting it
    dry
    > itself up before charging it. But how? What do I need? But of course, if
    > what I need is rather expensive and doesn't justify itself in terms of
    cost,
    > I will just buy another cell phone. But still, just want to know how I can
    > do it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Herbert

Nokia Battery Phones