Best fan configuration for my case

Hello! I'm going to be adding fans to my case to help an old Pentium 4 system run smoother. Currently, it only relies on its stock cpu cooler which runs at 1400 rpm. My case is suited for one 12 cm front fan, one 8 cm side fan and two 8 cm rear fans. I read that the frontal fan would be compensated by the PSU exhaust and I should avoid blowing out more air than is being sucked in. But if that be the case, why do I have two fan slots on the back? Should I use both of them, or only one?
The fans I was going to order where one of these
http://dx.com/p/pc-case-120mm-4-led-chassis-fan-9044
and three of these
http://dx.com/p/pc-case-80mm-4-led-chassis-fan-9043
plus this replacement CPU cooler
http://dx.com/p/3000-rpm-quiet-cpu-cooling-fan-12v-dc-29564

Is there something wrong in my plan I should correct? Any advice is appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about best configuration case
  1. Quote:
    There's a PSU guide in my sig that you may want to read. PSUs die because of bad power at the wall, or more likely cheap construction.

I can't say whether a $10 cooler will improve cooling or not. Which P4? Which socket? What is the TDP of the CPU?
    You need to know those things before you pick the cooler.

Keep in mind that ANY modern desktop CPU is going to perform better. This is a very significant upgrade for instance:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
    ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Celeron G540 Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G540
    TOTAL: $124.97

I have a 500W FSP, connected through an Infosec block with surge protection, so I've taken precautions after my last PSU died.
    It's a 2.8 Ghz single core P4 on a 775 socket.
    I have the great inconvenience of living in Europe. Unfortunately, there is no cheap hardware here :/ That's why I'm trying to make my old system work better for a while until I can upgrade.
  2. That seems like a pretty good choice on the cooler.
  3. Proximon said:
    That seems like a pretty good choice on the cooler.

Thanks! Would it make a difference if I only added the case fans, or I should combine them with a new cooler for a good effect? I'm just slightly worried about messing something up when I change it.
  4. Well, after 6 years you probably should change out the TIM, so might as well replace the cooler also.

Use the paste sparingly and tighten those screws gradually in a criss-cross pattern... you will have to remove the MB to install the backplate.
  5. Thermal interface material? As in, the paste? I suspect it's no older than one or two years since I last took my pc for maintenance. But I suppose even that's too old. I guess I can go to a friend to assist removing the MB. Thanks! ^^
    Last thing... about the case fans. Should I fill up all 4 slots, or will it be too much for the time being? My videocard is a gf6600 with a tiny snowflake so does not heat up so much. I'm also confused why the side slot is directly over the cooler. Is that for an additional fan to force air into it?
  6. Yes, it can be used like that. It may help... just be sure to balance the fans so that they are not all blowing in or all out.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Configuration Fan Components Product