Phenom-II-X-965 _or_ FX-6300

Hi all,
I am planning to buy a new PC, and at a local store the Phenom-II-X-965 based PC is available at 270€, and FX-6300 based system at the same store costs 278€.
There are many benchmark results available for Phenom-II-X-965, however FX-6300 (this time FX has better archi., as compared to the crap Bulldozer) was released a couple of weeks ago, and not much information is available about its benchmark results. So I wasn't able to decide if I should buy FX-6300 based system or Phenom-II-X4-965.

:bounce: P.S: :bounce: PLEASEEEE don't advise me to go for i3/i5 ... the minimum price of i3/ i5 CPUs bases systems is above 310/350€ :o . My limit is <280€. and in this limit I can find only 1 Intel CPU i.e. Pentium G860.
5 answers Last reply
More about phenom _or_ 6300
  1. Well the new piledriver CPU's are about a 15 percent increase in performance over the bulldozer architecture, and bulldozer was about a 5 percent increase in multithread and the single thread performance was less or equal. The new piledriver CPU's give a way better multithreaded performance, and the single thread performance is a bit better than bulldozer. Is it worth it? I think so if you are using a lot of multi threaded apps. It also has a higher clock speed, which should bring it on par with the Phenom II when it comes to single core in that particular scenario. It's only 8 Euros more, I would do it, just because you know you are getting a newish motherboard as it has tobe a socket AM3+ and it is a bit better of a CPU. The socket AM3+ also gives you future upgradability.
  2. FX-6300 would be my choice now :)

Considering the IPC increase of 7% from BD and another 7% boost from clock speeds, the FX-6300 will perform a little better than the Phenom II X4 965.
  3. the FX 6300 is a 95w CPU where as the 965 is a 125w will that mean the 965 will generate more heat than a FX 6300
  4. PD/BD Chips are known to generate more heat due to how they work :) Or rather, due to their Module design and the components inside of it. The FX-4XXX chips would be on-par with a Phenom II X4 for heat whereas anything higher (FX-6XXX/8XXX) will produce significantly more heat.

Just as an example, I've seen BD/PD chips get as high as 70C (125w TDP mind you) where as most Phenom II X4's cap out at around 50C.
  5. PD 6300s are worthy successors to Phenom II x4s. I would go with that one.

Quote:
    :bounce: P.S: :bounce: PLEASEEEE don't advise me to go for i3/i5 ... the minimum price of i3/ i5 CPUs bases systems is above 310/350€ :o . My limit is <280€. and in this limit I can find only 1 Intel CPU i.e. Pentium G860.

I wouldn't dream of it, while some people simply cannot help themselves, its clearly not what you asked for.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Benchmark Phenom