Phenom-II-X-965 _or_ FX-6300

UETIAN

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi all,
I am planning to buy a new PC, and at a local store the Phenom-II-X-965 based PC is available at 270€, and FX-6300 based system at the same store costs 278€.
There are many benchmark results available for Phenom-II-X-965, however FX-6300 (this time FX has better archi., as compared to the crap Bulldozer) was released a couple of weeks ago, and not much information is available about its benchmark results. So I wasn't able to decide if I should buy FX-6300 based system or Phenom-II-X4-965.

:bounce: P.S: :bounce: PLEASEEEE don't advise me to go for i3/i5 ... the minimum price of i3/ i5 CPUs bases systems is above 310/350€ :eek: . My limit is <280€. and in this limit I can find only 1 Intel CPU i.e. Pentium G860.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Well the new piledriver CPU's are about a 15 percent increase in performance over the bulldozer architecture, and bulldozer was about a 5 percent increase in multithread and the single thread performance was less or equal. The new piledriver CPU's give a way better multithreaded performance, and the single thread performance is a bit better than bulldozer. Is it worth it? I think so if you are using a lot of multi threaded apps. It also has a higher clock speed, which should bring it on par with the Phenom II when it comes to single core in that particular scenario. It's only 8 Euros more, I would do it, just because you know you are getting a newish motherboard as it has tobe a socket AM3+ and it is a bit better of a CPU. The socket AM3+ also gives you future upgradability.

FX-6300 would be my choice now :)

Considering the IPC increase of 7% from BD and another 7% boost from clock speeds, the FX-6300 will perform a little better than the Phenom II X4 965.

PD/BD Chips are known to generate more heat due to how they work :) Or rather, due to their Module design and the components inside of it. The FX-4XXX chips would be on-par with a Phenom II X4 for heat whereas anything higher (FX-6XXX/8XXX) will produce significantly more heat.

Just as an example, I've seen BD/PD chips get as high as 70C (125w TDP mind you) where as most Phenom II X4's cap out at around 50C.

PD 6300s are worthy successors to Phenom II x4s. I would go with that one.

:bounce: P.S: :bounce: PLEASEEEE don't advise me to go for i3/i5 ... the minimum price of i3/ i5 CPUs bases systems is above 310/350€ :eek: . My limit is <280€. and in this limit I can find only 1 Intel CPU i.e. Pentium G860.

I wouldn't dream of it, while some people simply cannot help themselves, its clearly not what you asked for.

TRENDING THREADS