Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not to sure about my current power supply.

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 1:05:05 PM

So I'm going to be ordering a new 680 but I'm unsure if my PSU can handle its power.

My current Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-341-...

The gpu I'm buying: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Notice that the 680 is a dual 8 pin where as my PSU only comes with a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connectors.

So the question is will I be able to buy an 8 pin Cable and connect it to the modular slot on the psu to replace the 6 pin or will I have to use the one 6+2 Pin cable and then use Molex adapters to get the last 8 pin?

Tyvm for the help here if you give any!

More about : current power supply

November 11, 2012 1:10:08 PM

New PSU I think. The 6-pin only provides 75w, while you get 150w from the 6+2 pin, so it's not just a question of cables. You could use a Molex adapter, but it's not generally recommended.
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:12:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
New PSU I think. The 6-pin only provides 75w, while you get 150w from the 6+2 pin, so it's not just a question of cables. You could use a Molex adapter, but it's not generally recommended.

So this means either upgrade my PSU or use mollex adapters.

Or just get a 680 that is 8 pin + 6 pin?
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2012 1:18:19 PM

Or one with two 6-pins :-)
m
l
a c 307 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 1:18:40 PM

pounced said:
So I'm going to be ordering a new 680 but I'm unsure if my PSU can handle its power.

My current Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-341-...

The gpu I'm buying: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Notice that the 680 is a dual 8 pin where as my PSU only comes with a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connectors.

So the question is will I be able to buy an 8 pin Cable and connect it to the modular slot on the psu to replace the 6 pin or will I have to use the one 6+2 Pin cable and then use Molex adapters to get the last 8 pin?

Tyvm for the help here if you give any!

Surprised a 700w unit only came with the 2 pci-e connectors, but it being modular u shud be able to pick up anoth 6+2,
I agree w/ sam_pLay molex adapter will prob work, but i wouldn't do it.

Tom
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:23:29 PM

toyftw said:
Surprised a 700w unit only came with the 2 pci-e connectors, but it being modular u shud be able to pick up anoth 6+2,
I agree w/ sam_pLay molex adapter will prob work, but i wouldn't do it.

Tom

So for sure if I bought another 6+2 pin connector I could use it on this PSU and have 2x 6+2 Pins in the PCIE slots on the PSU or will one port put out less power than the other one?
m
l
a c 307 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 1:47:09 PM

pounced said:
So for sure if I bought another 6+2 pin connector I could use it on this PSU and have 2x 6+2 Pins in the PCIE slots on the PSU or will one port put out less power than the other one?

Hi again - Have you purch the GPU yet? MSI offers and may include a 6 to 8 pin adapter in the box, so you may not have to
purch another cable. As far as the power being divided, you need to check your PSU's 12v rail or rails amps. On a 700w unit
you should have plenty, but either look on the PSU label or booklet. If this is a quality PSU, you'll gave plenty of amps
avail to run that GPU (& possibly 2 of em)

Tom
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:59:13 PM

toyftw said:
Hi again - Have you purch the GPU yet? MSI offers and may include a 6 to 8 pin adapter in the box, so you may not have to
purch another cable. As far as the power being divided, you need to check your PSU's 12v rail or rails amps. On a 700w unit
you should have plenty, but either look on the PSU label or booklet. If this is a quality PSU, you'll gave plenty of amps
avail to run that GPU (& possibly 2 of em)

Tom

No I have not bought it yet and it doesn't come with the cable I need.

here is the chart for my PSU (its the 700 series) I'm not able to make sense of all of it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/mxsp_wattage...
m
l

Best solution

a c 307 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 2:14:05 PM

pounced said:
No I have not bought it yet and it doesn't come with the cable I need.

here is the chart for my PSU (its the 700 series) I'm not able to make sense of all of it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/mxsp_wattage...

Hi again - MSI should furnish that adapter cheaply I would think, if not it's prob avail
at Newegg.
Not to worry - you have 50a & 552w avail on +12v rails and even tho it would be
nice to have a little more of the total on the +12v you will be able to run that card.
I read somewhere that it draws about 316w on average during game play.

Tom
November 11, 2012 2:27:58 PM

Best answer selected by pounced.
m
l
November 11, 2012 2:30:42 PM

toyftw said:
Hi again - MSI should furnish that adapter cheaply I would think, if not it's prob avail
at Newegg.
Not to worry - you have 50a & 552w avail on +12v rails and even tho it would be
nice to have a little more of the total on the +12v you will be able to run that card.
I read somewhere that it draws about 316w on average during game play.

Tom

Tyvm for all the help. I wanted to just be certain I could run the card on this PSU if I bought another 6+2 pin and replaced the other 6 pin connector.

I mean for $500 I want to make damn sure I don't have to do anything else. I plan on Over clocking a little somewhere around low 1200Mhz for core and the boost in the high 1200s so sounds like I have plenty of power for it.
m
l
a c 307 ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 2:36:12 PM

pounced said:
Tyvm for all the help. I wanted to just be certain I could run the card on this PSU if I bought another 6+2 pin and replaced the other 6 pin connector.

I mean for $500 I want to make damn sure I don't have to do anything else. I plan on Over clocking a little somewhere around low 1200Mhz for core and the boost in the high 1200s so sounds like I have plenty of power for it.

You should be happy with the performance you're gonna get.

Tom
m
l
!