Sign in with
Your question

Strange artifacts happening.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2012 1:19:30 AM

Okay, so, I recently reformatted my pc, right? And I got it all set-up yadda yadda. Life was good. Played a few games before I got my graphics card in, put the card in, now everythings going crazy. I'll send a picture along with. But any ways, after about a few minutes of trying to click on the new character in Path of Exile, I noticed 'holes' in the other characters on the selecting page. I flipped out and restarted the game, restarted my pc. Nothing. It happens in every game. I'm going to try to take the card out, and put it back in, see if theres anything wrong. The cards a ATI Radeon HD 4350. Theres a little three prong cord protruding from it and i dunno if its supposed to connect with it.

Heres the image, let me know if anyone knows whats wrong!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/artifacts.jpg/
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 2:06:08 AM

Hi,

Few things you can try:

Download the newest graphics drivers from www.amd.com

Uninstall old driver

Install new one

As for the 3 prong cord - i'm guessing it might be your GPU's fan cord if it has a fan - so it should be connected on your 4350 somewhere. What exact 4350 do you have?

Make sure your computer is off before you connect or disconnect that cord (if that is what it is).

Also - have you made your sure your graphics card is seated properly? It should sit flush in the slot and not at an angle.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 2:07:08 AM

Another thing - I don't know if it's just me but I really don't see a problem in that picture.
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2012 2:21:48 AM

Chainzsaw said:
Another thing - I don't know if it's just me but I really don't see a problem in that picture.

Look closely on the girls body, on her legs. Zoom in if you have to. You'll see holes in her.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:11:44 AM

Okay, uninstalled the drivers. And the cards fully in. When I gently jiggle it, I can hear very quiet crackling, but I don't think its much of a problem, my pci network adapter does it too. But anyways. The cards in, drivers are uninstalled, Portal 2 runs fine, no artifacts. So I think its a software issue. I'm going to try installing the drivers through steam instead of the AMD website.
m
l
May 10, 2012 4:06:08 AM

Yeah, it's got to be the drivers. I just reinstalled them through steam. Got the same Artifacts. God dammit.
Or maybe its something I'm installing with the drivers???
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 4:21:09 AM

MrMeowmers said:
Look closely on the girls body, on her legs. Zoom in if you have to. You'll see holes in her.

Yes, I see what you mean. They are like cracks & dark patches rather than holes... perhaps why ChainzSaw miss it. But the guy at the back literally have hole in his stomach... funny... Interesting how it looks like during game play... but probably only at first... Definitely need a fix.

If you have reinstalled the drivers & it does not help, try to reinstall the game itself.

And can you also show the picture of your 4350 showing the 3 prong cord. If it is for the fan & its not connected, then your GPU must be overheating. Monitor the GPU temps too to make sure...

m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 4:51:23 AM

as the game is in beta it could be a beta bug. i would send an email to the dev at there email listed on the game web page.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:03:58 PM

Nah. Its not just that game. I'm getting tears in Running with Rifles. In a game like portal, some of the characters are literally having a tear coming from their arm and connecting to their feet as if their arms are like a puppeteers controller. I could get you images of it.

And about the GPU overheating. It did not come with a fan, however, I have a fan plugged in and in place beside the card, so it is getting cooled. I even turned the fan up all the way in the drivers, but no dice. Its something wrong with the driver software. Which means I'm going to have a hell of a time figuring it out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 6:11:03 PM

Try running driver sweeper:

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

Install it - select all AMD drivers - and clean out those drivers. You might want to do that in Safe mode.

Once done re-install drivers see if it changes anything.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:32:26 PM

Yeah. It found a few files left over. I'm reinstalling the drivers right now. I'll keep you posted.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:46:45 PM

Nope. Got the same tears in Portal 2 again. Somethings up.
m
l
May 11, 2012 3:44:00 AM

Installed old drivers. They seem to be working better. I might update them at some point. See if it works.
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:21:53 PM

Turns out their latest release is 'un-stable' as told to me by the support guys there. I sent an email. I updated to their 12.3 CCC version. Works fine so far. So I guess 12.4 is the latest, and its quite unstable. For anyone who is having trouble. Just downgrade them! Have fun!
m
l
!