Crossfire issues galore in BF3 (HD6870 Trifire)

capp1688_77

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hello, I have a computer with the following specs:

-AMD Phenom 965 @ 3.8 ghz (multiplier OC)
-HD 6870 trifire (1 6870x2 and another)
-850 W Corsair PSU
-8 gb ram @ 1333 9-9-9-24
-EnableUlps disabled
-Triple Buffering Enabled in CCC

I play BF3 with everything on high, vsync disabled, and 2x MSAA

I'm having a bit of a rough time. I managed to pick up these two 6870 cards (both powercolor) on the cheap to upgrade from my 5870 (or else I would have picked up a card with more memory). So far it's been a bit of a headache. With the latest drivers (I can't get to 12.4 because it always states I have 12.3 installed no matter what I do) and with the latest caps, my bf3 performance sucks bumbum.

The problem I get is essentially huge framerate drops and choppy performance, even though I only play on high settings (I am aware of the large amount of vram consumed). In fact, a constant occurrence is that the hard drive is constantly being accessed during these slowdowns, and throughout my gameplay, whereas before this just would not have happened.

I already feel kind of foolish for not going to 2gb or waiting for the gtx 670, but now I feel plain stupid. Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to remedy this horrible performance. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

PS : I also have a constantly flashing screen in Skyrim, any fixes?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Ditch the stand alone 6870, 6870's were never meant to run more than two at a time. You would need a 69xx or 79xx to run tripple or quad crossfire. If you need more gfx power, upgrade to a current generation high end card.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
i have a 1 gb card and i can run ultra everything with just max mxaa no aa. thats with a 6950 @ 1080p. i dont think its vram.

what would you say your average fps are? and how bad are the dips?

i want to lean toward cpu but you already oc'ed. try turning of AA as you dont need it with mxaa.

capp1688_77

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hello again, I don't have 3d mark 11 I'm afraid :(

The dips are horrendous. I was using 11.11 and doing fine with the 6870x2 but when I installed my second card it somehow ended up at 12.3. The dips go down to like 2-3 fps and the hard drive is constantly being accessed throughout, and this is not even on expansion maps (where the vram consumed is higher). Lowering the settings seems to have no effect.

I'd go right back to 11.11 but each time I do my screen's colors get messed up and I have to fiddle with the damn thing for an eternity before I get it to work.

randomkid

Distinguished

I run 2x6950 and I also have screen flashing in Skyrim during dark scenes ( in caves & dungeons specially Blackreach ). I believe this is Skyrim issue. Too lazy to try & fix it too...