Sign in with
Your question

Installing a Fan

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 3:08:10 PM

If I wanted to install a 200mm Coolermaster fan onto the side of my case pointed directly at my 2 video cards would I plug that directly into the power supply? My power supply is an 850w TR2 Rx from Thermaltake.

More about : installing fan

a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 3:17:26 PM

The fan's connection I believe is a 3 pin connector which goes to the motherboard fan header. If you don't have any headers remaining feel free to buy this :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Edit: Forgot to add, either way it will work and fans in general barely use any power from a power supply.
m
l
November 11, 2012 3:18:24 PM

Depends if you want to control the fan speed or not?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 3:19:47 PM

^ Oh yes, if you do connect to the power supply you wont be able to control the speeds. The 3 pin to the motherboard will allow you to change speeds. Either way that's a pretty silent fan (19dba) so I would not worry about noise level unless you are trying to sleep at night and you are sensitive to noise.
m
l
November 11, 2012 3:41:58 PM

Noise is never an issue. I wouldn't care if it sounded like a leaf blower, I'm just upset because I bought this PC less than a year ago and one of my fans needs to be push started. I also never use SLI because the main card gets to 90c+ and the other stays around 85c :|

What if I get some kind of fan controlling device and then hook that up to the power supply?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 3:45:21 PM

I don't think I know of any fan controllers that connect to the power supply. Perhaps someone else knows. Anyways you don't have any fan headers on the motherboard?
m
l
November 11, 2012 3:54:47 PM

I think I do actually.. lol I never looked this hard before but you seem so certain

Sys Fan 1 is four pronged and Sys Fan 2 is three pronged but they are hidden under my second video card. So your saying those would suffice for plugging fans into? Also I have 4 case fans already, do you happen to know if its just 560tis that get hot or if I have poor cooling?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 11, 2012 4:04:14 PM

Yep both will work, I have plugged in a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin header and it works just fine but at full speed. If its SLI 560ti's then its normal for them to get hot. If it's just one try getting a PCI Slot fan under or above the cooler.
m
l
November 11, 2012 4:30:18 PM

thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it lots :) 
I'm going to order some fans off amazon now and hopefully fix this situation. If not I'm sure I'll be back here asking questions again lol
m
l
!