Sign in with
Your question

Strange power supply needs

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 3:41:54 PM

I am attempting to build a backup PC for a friend that owns a car wash. My goal is that when his current pc fails he can just plug in the one I build for him and be back in business the same day.

Let me show you a photo of his current system before I ask my questions:

1. The power supply is in the upper left and has 4, 4-pin square molex power connections for powering various things (fans, speakers, and a receipt printer) Where can I find something like that for a new build? I am familiar with modular power supplies but can you plug things straight into them?

2. This ancient machine has been running 24/7 for about 8 years using windows 2000 on 256megs of ram. It uses 3 serial ports for receipt printer, touch screen, and a credit card reader. Do you think I have any chance of finding drivers to install a newer OS or should I just stick with Windows 2000?

More about : strange power supply

July 3, 2012 4:00:56 PM

WOW... I'm speechless. It looks custom, not sure where you will find something like that. I would say he got his money's worth out of it... are you sure its only 8 years old?

did you try googling for the drivers you need?

google the software he is using and see if there is an upgrade.

also, based on the age, my advice would be to install all new. there are several great POS systems out there.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 7:00:48 PM

havent seen those ports in a long time.

for the OS, you can probably install windows xp.

for the power supply, if you need a new one, you can go on newegg and search up OEM power supplies
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 7:36:05 PM

I could keep using that power supply, but I am trying to plan for a complete recovery solution. This thing is due to fail. He is actually smart to start working on a backup now while that thing is still working.

If it fails it will cost him between 5-10K to have the car wash equipment supplier come and install a new system (they will not fix his current PC as they no longer support the software installed).

I am hoping to make something <$1000 perhaps even <$500 since the pc only needs to be reliable, not fast. I just have to figure out the wiring.

Could I rewire those 4 pin squares to standard 4 pin molex and just use a modern power supply or is the voltage probably different to those 4-pin squares?
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:30:46 AM

Quote:
Could I rewire those 4 pin squares to standard 4 pin molex and just use a modern power supply or is the voltage probably different to those 4-pin squares?

I don't see why not, just use a multi-meter to figure out what voltage they are using to power the peripherals. Standard Molex is +5v (red), +12v (yellow). The connectors that are used in the pick look like 4 pin ATX(P4) plugs which are 12v (yellow) with the common (Black) for 3 of them, with the 4th one adding a Red wire (+5v)?

the 4 pin molex (2x2) connectors are:
4 pin MOLEX 39-01-2040 connect cable from PSU (the picture show 2x3 rows, but it just a generic pic.)
http://eu.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=dvxwX...
this PDF shows all the connector mating options and pin options
http://eu.mouser.com/catalog/English/101/1505.pdf
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 12:18:36 PM

if it is reliablitiy, you might want to look into some dual core xeons from intel
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:57:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if it is reliablitiy, you might want to look into some dual core xeons from intel

its a POS system for the most part. it would run on a dual core atom CPU probably. I would just use a G 620/630/850 and a LGA 1155 mb that supports raid 1 to mirror 2 HDDs for data integrity.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 4:47:51 PM

that would work too. a bit more reliablity and processing power doesnt hurt
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:25:46 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I like the suggestion of going with a raid 1 setup. I have not started this build yet so i am planning on going with dual hard drives.

Does anyone know where i can get some 4 pin square (2 x 2) female to standard (1 x 4) adapters?

I really need to find a solution that does not require me to rewire the current setup. The backup pc really needs to be able to be plugged in and up and running in a very short amount of time.

If i can figure this out and build a new system i could save my friend 5-10k it will cost him to have it replaced by the car wash hardware vendor if it fails before i get a backup in place.

Thanks again all.
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:03:23 PM
September 6, 2012 2:43:36 AM

Thanks alot I think I will give it a shot making my own custom adapter cables.

Bit scary trying to do it myself, but live and learn.

Thanks for the product links jerreddredd.
m
l
!