Which upgrade to make? Gaming computer.

broseephus

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hey all, want other peoples opinions on my particular situation.

Currently I am running:
phenom II 955 (oc'd to 3.8)
GTX 670.
8GB DDR3 1366

I have been fairly happy with the performance in the games I play but of course always want more frames :D.

I've got two options

1.Get an SSD+ another 8GB of ram now and either waiting for revisions to the IB platform to be made or even wait for the Haswell chips to come out.

2. Go ahead and get IB 3570k +z77 +16gb ram wait a little before getting SSD

The only benchmarks I could find were here and I don't really know how that information will translate to games.

The other thing is I am on an old 880 chipset mobo with sata II (3gb/s) and usb 2.0 so even if I decide to wait and just get an SSD now I won't even get to use it to it's full potential.

I've kind of talked myself into "needing" to just completely overhaul my system but if major strides (performance increase in current IB platform) or changes (isn't haswell bringing a new socket?) is going to be coming I don't want to make a move yet and potentially lock myself out of an upgrade path.

So basically, will I see enough of a performance gain going from my old PhenomII to a 3570k to justify spending the 400'ish dollars needed now or should I wait for what is on the horizon.