Sign in with
Your question

Vintage Static IP setup new Wireless router HELP!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 27, 2011 9:50:08 PM

Hello,
I have a unique old setup. I have dual T1's coming into a CSU/DSU the on to a "standard" Cisco router. (2600 Series). From there I have wired ethernet to a 16 port switch that feeds all the wired connections to various computers and sub-switches. All works great.

All PC's have STATIC IPs (we own 32 Class C's and use them.

I would like to add a wireless router. It is connected to a port on the main switch via it's WAN port.

ON the LAN interface it has been given a static IP the same as all the other PCs. xxx.xxx.xxx.12 a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the same gateway as everything else (the Cisco 2600) xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

On it's WAN interface which is set to STATIC IP it has been given xxx.xxx.xxx.215 a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the same gateway as everything else (the Cisco 2600) xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

DNS is set to our our own nameservers. xxx.xxx.xxx.25 and xxx.xxx.xxx.125, etc.

The wireless router is running in AP mode (I tried BRIDGE..same issues)

The problem is:

If the WAN port is connected to the switch Wireless clients can access the internet fine but cannot see local wired network computers and I cannot remote configure the router on its LAN IP.

If I switch to a LAN port on the wireless router I can configure the router, but no wireless clients work.

I KNOW this is a config issue? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rick
August 27, 2011 11:58:47 PM

leave the router in regular mode.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the router you are trying to convert to a AP and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN port to the main router via network cable.

since you do not seem to use DHCP on your network you will have to assign static IPs to all wireless devices.
m
l
August 28, 2011 1:05:46 AM

This doesn't make any sense. I am using the wireless router to assign NATs to the wireless clients. (Tablets, Laptops, Phones, etc) ALl the local computers are and will stay Static IP'ed.

ending in .253 will have no effect since that is simply an IP on my network.

All devices regardless of wireless or wired will use the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 gateway address. This is a real address NOT a 192.168.x.x internal only IP. I actually HAVE a real router connecting the T1s to the world.

To simplify.

All computers that are on the LAN side are fine and have static IPs that route through the main router.

All devices connecting to the new wireless router will need to be given xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses corresponding to the class C I am using for this network.

The default gateway for all devices inside or outside will be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 This is the Cisco 2600 series.

FYI: All computers on the LAN running windows are running XP.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

The main problem I have is being able to have wireless clients see the local wired network machines and being able to configure the wireless router from inside the local network.

Thanks,

Rick
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2011 3:14:31 PM

if you are connecting the WAN port of the router to the Cisco 2600, you are creating a separate network which will not be able to connect to the office network.

by connecting one of the four LAN ports to the Cisco 2600, any device connecting wirelessly should be able to connect to the office network.

the reason you need to assign a IP to the LAN side of the router that matches the Gateway IP is so that the wireless devices can communicate to the network

you will have to configure the Cisco 2600 or a server to act a DHCP server to provide Dyamic IPs since a router configured as an AP is usually not able to do that.
m
l
August 28, 2011 4:28:24 PM

OK. I understand NOT using the WAN port. That's OK. What I do not understand is setting the wireless router IP to the same IP as the gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.1 wouldn't this create a duplicate IP issue?

The wireless router is already assigned an ip in class C xxx.xxx.xxx.12 on the LAN side and xxx.xxx.xxx.215 on the WAN side (even though we aren't going to use it.) I do need to use the wireless routers DHCP to assign a real address to wireless devices and have configured the wireless router to assign xxx.xxx.xxx.216 through xxx.xxx.xxx.241.

I'm usually not this dense. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Rick
m
l
August 28, 2011 7:51:10 PM

Okay the way a simple router works when you enable DHCP it assigns it's LAN IP as the Gateway IP.

assign the LAN side or the wireless router xxx.xxx.xxx.215

for testing proposes assign a static IP to a wireless device and check if you can communicate to the rest of the network and internet.

what wireless router are you using?
m
l
August 29, 2011 5:26:48 PM

OK just verified that the LAN side is .12 and the WAN side is .215 (Sorry..long power outage here precluded any thing until now!)

I will switch the cable from the switch back to a plain LAN port (removed from WAN port on router.

I should then be able to see all static IP computers on the switch.

Then I will try a wireless device and see if I can connect with a static IP in the class C. If that works, should I then be able to use the wireless routers DHCP server to assign a legit class C address to wireless devices?

The router is a bit of an odd ball.

Powerlink PL-APN

Thanks!

Rick
m
l
August 29, 2011 11:19:19 PM

you will need to set the Default Gateway address (0.0.0.0) in the LAN settings to your Gateway's IP before enabling the DHCP.
m
l
September 8, 2011 10:18:53 PM

OKk I have tried everything i can think of. I am now able to get to the network AND view local computers. However, I can ONLY do this by specifying a numeric IP address. i.e. DNS is not being assigned by the wireless router/AP

Any ideas?
m
l
!