Tizoc_30

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hi guys, thanks to some excellent advice from another user I've recently purchased a Radeon HD 6870 to upgrade from my previous 3850. After installing the new PSU and GPU I was curious about connecting through an HDMI cable instead of a VGA. Problem is, Win7 is recognizing 2 displays whenever I have the HDMI and VGA connected at the same time.

After some research I found out that my although my monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168242550110) is can display up to 1920x1200, it will only support up to 1920x1080 through an HDMI connection. I can't find a way to accomplish this though. If I have both VGA and HDMI connected at the same time upon boot Win7 will recognize it as 2 separate displays, and the HDMI is set as my default. Since my monitor cannot display @ 1920x1200 it just gives me an Out of Range error message and attempts to switch to the VGA, which I believe is being recognized as the 2nd monitor.

I can't seem to find a way to fix this problem and as I've never really messed with display settings before I don't really know where to start outside of trying to have AMD Catalyst force my monitor to display 1920x1080 which didn't seem to work.

Is it even worth switching from a VGA > HDMI set-up? I really was just curious, and seeing as how I'd have to switch from x1200 to x1080 is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance!

randomkid

Distinguished

If you connect both VGA & HDMI cables, the computer will see it as 2 displays. But because it is only one monitor, there is no use to connect both. So my recommendation is do not connect the VGA cable & see how the display via HDMI shows.

Tizoc_30

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Ah, forgot to mention; When the HDMI is the only connection I receive the error message Out of Range due to being unable to adjust my monitor from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080. I jsut can't find a way to adjust the settings unless the HDMI is the display in use, which keeps me from accomplishing anything.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You may try resetting or auto-adjusting the monitor using the buttons on the monitor when HDMI is the only connection.

If you can get the monitor to work this way, then HDMI is a better connection because it is pure digital. VGA is analog where an analog-to-digital conversion is performed in the monitor, which theoretically degrades quality. You may not notice this, though, depending on your age and eyes.

If still no go, then boot into Safe Mode with HDMI connection and lower resolution.

Hope this helps.

Tizoc_30

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Yes, by default it is set to 60hz.
Unless you meant when the HDMI is connected, I'm unable to do anything as I'm given the Out of Range error message by my monitor.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I think you have not read my answer to your post. Boot into SAFE MODE with only HDMI connection. Safe Mode always gives you video on the monitor. Then you can do anything you like, from lowering screen resolution to setting the frequency of refresh rate, etc..

If you still do not get anything on screen when you boot into safe mode, that means your HDMI cable is defective.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yes, suat is right.

Having both vga and hdmi in at the same time might have confused windows and it's pnp monitor driver between refresh rates. As in not setting the correct refresh rate whilst in digital mode(hdmi)

can also try setting at a lower resolution while in vga. Switch over to hdmi, set the hz again and res.

Other thing i can suggest is make sure the monitor is actually 'in' digital mode. As some monitors need the power button to be pressed twice to toggle between analogue/digital.