Graphics Cards Identifying

etechs

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Dear All

What is the differnce b/w pci and ddr1 ,2 ,3 graphics card

and how can i detect the slot on motherboard that it is the slot of ddr 1 .2.3 or pci or agp

DDR# decides latency of a card

as for slot identification, it is either done by sight(knowing what slot is what). but in the engineering world, ALL professionally done items has a drawing and a spec sheet(this includes all computer parts) and finding what slot it is can be found out online either by a retailer who sells the board or from the manufacturer

Oh my, those are some rudimentary questions you have there. It never crossed my mind that people might need to know that. Thanks for asking.

I'm going to write something up for you on the spot. It will take a while, as I'll be writing for others as well.

randomkid

Distinguished

PCI is the slot where the graphics card can go. But this is old and rare nowadays. AGP is also old. The most common graphics card slots today are PCIe ( PCI express).
Meanwhile the VRAM or graphics card RAM is DDR1, 2 or 3 depending on its generation. Older generations have DDR1 and DDR2. The recent ones have DD3 mostly while some already have DDR5. The higher the number, the faster the VRAM is and the better the graphics card will perform.

For the highlighted question, the best way is to refer to the motherboard specifications that directly indicates what kind of DDR memory it supports. If you look at the manuals, it will even points out to you where those slots are in it whether DDR1 ( but I doubt you will still find mobo's with this ), DDR2 and DDR3 for the RAM or PCIe or AGP for the video card.

Graphics cards

PC graphics cards are available for 3 different types of slots. Two of these slots are very old and computers that have only these slots are quickly disappearing.

Old graphics card slots:

PCI
While PCI slots are still fairly common, computers that ONLY have PCI slots are all old now. PCI video cards are also mostly very old designs. Here is the Wikipedia PCI page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

AGP
Another type of slot that is not found in new computers. This slot was ONLY used for graphics. You can also still buy AGP video cards, but they are not as good as the newer ones. Wikipedia page about AGP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP

The newest slot

PCI-E
PCI-E (PCI Express) replaced AGP and is also quickly replacing PCI. Most modern motherboards have both PCI-E and PCI slots.

Graphics cards have memory built into them. This is different than the memory used by your CPU, but it is similar in some ways. Most modern graphics cards have either DDR3 or DDR5 onboard. DDR3 is slower than DDR5, so when shopping for a new graphics card DDR5 is desirable.

By studying the above links you can discover what the various slots on your motherboard are. You can also learn about these slots by studying the manual for your motherboard.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

AGP or PCIe (PCI express) is the slot on the motherboard where you connect the graphic card. DDR usually describes RAM (memory modules) of a PC, for a graphic card it is called GDDR - and it is the memory installed on tha card itself. GDDR2 is faster than GDDR1 and so forth. AGP slot is older and slower than PCIe and you can see what it is look like in Google by simple picture search of "agp slot". Usually its color is brown. You can do the same search with "pcie slot", but there can be many colors to this slot and there can be two of them or more on the same motherboad. The PCIe slot replaced the AGP slots so their place on the motherboad is where the AGP slot was.

etechs

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Guys thankyou soo Much For Your reply your Reply and information is very usefull for me .

and i asked more question is pci vga or graphics card easily install in pcie slot or not