Is the Moto V551 EDGE or not? S46 replacement?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2005 1:04:26 AM

I'm considering a replacement phone for my Siemens S46 and the Motorola V551
looks like a contender. The older MPX220 looked good feature-wise, but is
no longer on Cingular's website. My primary needs are solid call quality,
sync with MS Outlook & strong POP e-mail capability. Ability to easily
access things like the WA State traffic/ferry websites or PayPal would be
nice, too. Ringtones, fancy covers, MP3's and paid web/info services are
NOT of interest.

Here's my biggest question about the V551. Moto's website says it is an
EDGE phone, but the Cingular site makes no mention of EDGE on that model.
Anyone have the real scoop?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:05:51 AM

[ a m z ] <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.removethis.com> wrote:
> Here's my biggest question about the V551. Moto's website says it is an
> EDGE phone, but the Cingular site makes no mention of EDGE on that model.
> Anyone have the real scoop?

It is Edge. It even has a little E graphic on the screen to note the
difference between GPRS and EGPRS reception.
I tether it to my laptop with Bluetooth.

John Navas did some performance numbers that show the Edge isn't currently
at full speed in the SF Bay Area, but that's true on PC cards as well as
the V551, which he tested.

> The V551 is only EGPRS (EDGE) Class 4, which is significantly slower (up
> to about 100 Kbps) than Class 10 (up to about 150 Kbps), the maximum
> supported by Cingular.

A Google search of alt.cingular.cellular for "EDGE/GPRS Shootout: V551,
GC82, Z600" from John Navas. http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1DB23E8B

--
---
August 13, 2005 4:50:50 PM

In <BeeLe.119$WF4.15400@news.uswest.net> on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:04:26 -0700,
"[ a m z ]" <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Here's my biggest question about the V551. Moto's website says it is an
>EDGE phone, but the Cingular site makes no mention of EDGE on that model.
>Anyone have the real scoop?

It's EGPRS(EDGE) Class 4, with speeds up to about 100 Kbps.
Faster devices (e.g., Class 10) have speeds up to about 150 Kbps.

August 13, 2005 6:17:45 PM

In article <ddjv3f$iqb$1@blue.rahul.net>,
<dold@XReXXIsXth.usenet.us.com> wrote:
>[ a m z ] <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.removethis.com> wrote:
>> Here's my biggest question about the V551. Moto's website says it is an
>> EDGE phone, but the Cingular site makes no mention of EDGE on that model.
>> Anyone have the real scoop?
>
>It is Edge. It even has a little E graphic on the screen to note the
>difference between GPRS and EGPRS reception.

Only on firmware issued after 04/15/05.
August 13, 2005 6:17:46 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:17:45 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
wrote:

>In article <ddjv3f$iqb$1@blue.rahul.net>,
> <dold@XReXXIsXth.usenet.us.com> wrote:
>>[ a m z ] <amz.REMOVETHIS@eskimo.removethis.com> wrote:
>>> Here's my biggest question about the V551. Moto's website says it is an
>>> EDGE phone, but the Cingular site makes no mention of EDGE on that model.
>>> Anyone have the real scoop?
>>
>>It is Edge. It even has a little E graphic on the screen to note the
>>difference between GPRS and EGPRS reception.
>
>Only on firmware issued after 04/15/05.

What is involved in updating the firmware in a V551?
!