sharing network files

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if i
enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different network)
has no problem whatsoever
for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx

i have both computers running on XP pro

please reply to :

jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com

thanx in advance

louis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
Louis
"jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if
> enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different
network)
> has no problem whatsoever
> for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
>
> i have both computers running on XP pro
>
> please reply to :
>
> jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
>
> thanx in advance

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
62.195.215.102
62.195.215.103

subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?

"louis" <louis@bitflowbrokers.co.za> wrote in message
> Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
> machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
> Louis
> "jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network
if
> > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different
> network)
> > has no problem whatsoever
> > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
> >
> > i have both computers running on XP pro
> >
> > please reply to :
> >
> > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
> >
> > thanx in advance

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

Are you saying that the shared files reside on an XP pro and your PC trying
to access these files is also XP pro? Check to see if netbios is disabled
(not that this should matter on XP) - give more details maybe we can try and
help you...

"jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if
> enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different
network)
> has no problem whatsoever
> for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
>
> i have both computers running on XP pro
>
> please reply to :
>
> jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
>
> thanx in advance

louis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and protocolls?
> sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
> 62.195.215.102
> 62.195.215.103
>
> subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
>
> so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
>
> "louis" <louis@bitflowbrokers.co.za> wrote in message
> > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
> > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
> > Louis
> > "jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> > > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network
> if
> > > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different
> > network)
> > > has no problem whatsoever
> > > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
> > >
> > > i have both computers running on XP pro
> > >
> > > please reply to :
> > >
> > > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
> > >
> > > thanx in advance

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

yes, about 3 times ;)
it's the same on every computer, so i guess the problem lies in me, and not
the pc's :(

> That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and
protocolls?
> "jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
> > 62.195.215.102
> > 62.195.215.103
> >
> > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
> >
> > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
> >
> > "louis" <louis@bitflowbrokers.co.za> wrote in message
> > > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
> > > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
> > > Louis
> > > "jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> > if
> > > network)

louis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

Nope we sometimes have the same, but with diffrent operating systems, Win 98
and 2000, the only way i get around it is to run ipx.., then the problem is
in me too.
> yes, about 3 times ;)
> it's the same on every computer, so i guess the problem lies in me, and
not
> the pc's :(
>
> "louis" <louis@bitflowbrokers.co.za> wrote in message
> > That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and
> protocolls?
> > "jeroen" <jeroen@.com> wrote in message
> > > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
> > > 62.195.215.102
> > > 62.195.215.103
> > >
> > > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
> > >
> > > "louis" <louis@bitflowbrokers.co.za> wrote in message
> network
> > > if

jp

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks (More info?)

can you ping the other network card?

if you can can you also connect to the PC like \\62.195.215.102\fileshare ?

Cheers

John