TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
hi. so, in all of the reviews on the internet, the review sites talk about how much power the a10 trinitys use. ive noticed that these reviewers have the integrated gpu on, and then talk about how dissapointing it is that the chip draws 150 watts overclocked. does anyone know how much these chips would draw if only the cpu is being used? I imagine that it would be less.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
The GPU is always on?
But if not overclocked I'd surmise not much over 80-90 at near max. Overclocking is what spikes the power useage up a lot.

Since the 5700 is essentially the non k version of the 5800 but not overclockable and the useage is 65w max. The 5800k might not even surpass 65w by much, when not overclocked. The higher base clockspeed though will probably raise it by some.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
true, incrasing voltage does do some serious damage. is trinity just that inneficient? should i pick up a older llano instead? (can get a 3670k for $59 at local shop that has them on sale). i want to make an itx rig, but dont want to pay $189 for asus's mini itx board for 1155. since llano has better per core performance, would it be a wiser choice?

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

The trinity improved the Llano IGP, i think it's better overall (But more expensive). Although the Llano may be discontinued.

InvalidError

Titan

Trinity is a substantial improvement over Llano across the board so you definitely do not want to go with the older stuff. Trinity's IGP is about twice as powerful as Llano's and the CPU has ~10% better IPC.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
No AMDs are NOT like Pentium 4s. Oh that is a baad comparison. Pentium 4s had horrible temps and huge TPD when IDLE. AMD A-10's have good low watts consumption when Idle, and good low(er than Pentium by a lot) temps when idle.

If you are in a more idle state, then the A-10 can be lower power than the i3. It depends on your other components though. Things that measure TPD measure the entire watts of the computer, not just the watts of the CPU. Meaning the MB harddrive/ssd, fans. And other stuff. They use knowledge of how the power input is measured to estimate out the watts just the CPU is using.. And somesuch, don't remember the exact way some sites use to measure it.

Don't assume it will be at max at all times, unless you are going to use it to max at all times. :/

Otherwise at max i3 have better power usage.
Remember though, that those power levels for the A-10 where achieved when both the CPU and GPU where overclocked and both GPU and CPU were stressed. Standard everyday watt usage isn't as high as the benches can make it go.

n'stuff

I thought this was obvious but Im stating it so it's out there.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
from what ive read........ the i5 3470 it is. i just can't bring myself to buy an amd cpu with such massive power consumption and performance that can barely match an i3. doesnt matter how cheap they are, i dont think they will last a good 6 years like my core 2 has. mabye amd will straighten themselves out in a few years....