Sign in with
Your question

Sound card for a decent headset required?

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2012 7:04:00 PM

I'm on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard, which uses 7.1 channel surround and it sounds pretty good. Do I really need a sound card if I wanna grab some awesome Sennheiser gaming headset? or will it still sound great?

If not I guess im sticking to usb..
November 11, 2012 7:05:40 PM

I think most people only need a sound card when they running a whole bunch of speakers. For head phones you'll be fine with the onboard.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:36:38 PM

It depends, example: My gigabyte mobo cant give out enough power to even power my AKG K550 effecient and thats only 32OHM. If the onboard soundcard lacks power the headphones will sound less rich(less bass, mids treble not getting the peaks as good).

Might add if you want some good headphones for surround in maybe fps games get some of the beyerdynamic that hasa wide soundstage. DT 880 250/600OHM DT990 250/600OHM or some cheaper ones. From experience the DT880 600ohm sounds much better in gaming than sennheiser 600 or 650. The beyers are more neutral and got much better sub bass that are much more precise.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 2:30:20 PM

If not using $10 cheop headphones, then yes, a soundcard will give a significant improvement to audio quality. How much depends on the headphones/speakers in question.
m
l
November 13, 2012 7:38:55 PM

From my understanding its not that it doesn't sound as good, (unless the onboard is like 5.1 and the sound card is 7.1) it that when you play games and stuff it lowers your fps because the CPU has to work harder.
m
l
November 15, 2012 5:27:55 AM

Most motherboards has background noise that is ruining your listening experience if you use an soundcard instead that will be eliminated. And also in many cases the sound gets better. Still 7.1 has no use in headphones, the best setting us stereo with Dolby headphone settings for surround.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:00:49 PM

mace200200 said:
From my understanding its not that it doesn't sound as good, (unless the onboard is like 5.1 and the sound card is 7.1) it that when you play games and stuff it lowers your fps because the CPU has to work harder.

All wrong. Soundcards haven't had any FPS impact since the first C2D's came out. Nevermind audio isn't H/W accelerated anymore.

The primary advantage of a soundcard is vastly superior sound output compared to onboard. Period.
m
l
!