AMD FX8150 voltage drops under load

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
4i1r3p.png

bi0xav.png

Can someone tell me why my CPU vCore fluctuates between the two values shown above?

Cool n' Quiet is off, and so is turbo core technology.

AMD FX8150
ASUS M5A88-m
8GB GSKILL DDR3 1333, 9-9-9-24

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Prime 95 was running for both pics, the voltage swaps back and forth every few seconds along with my multiplier. When on idle the voltage stays high consistently.

and here's a view with task manager open
2m32ryg.png

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
So after further examination the voltage seems to drop when the CPU socket reaches anything above 50*C. Is there a setting that I can disable in the BIOS to stop this thermal throttling?

That's always a possibility but I would highly doubt it as your motherboard should be able to support 125w TDP CPU's without any issues. As long as you're running at stock frequencies you should be fine :)

I just dug through my motherboards to get my brother's old GA970A-D3, I couldn't find anything about thermal throttling as well, unfortunately.

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Well thanks for your help, I put new thermal paste on a heat sink on the chip that is just beside the CPU slot, seems to have helped a bit but even at stock speeds, while under Prime 95 stress test it reverts back to 7x multiplier and low voltage... I found a few other posts on google by people having the exact same problem as me with the same mobo/cpu combo. I'm beginning to think I might need to invest in a better board. :(

Yes, investing in a better board may be the best option. Though, I'm a bit curious, you're running at 4Ghz when stock FX-8150 speeds are 3.6Ghz (unless TurboCORE frequency is 4Ghz...Can't remember).

Unfortunately, no, I couldn't find that forum thread :( I've been search the entire day today through my bookmarks and searching for keywords on Google, but no luck.

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
At the time of the pictures I had the CPU running with a slight overclock by changing the multiplier to x20. The throttling happens at stock settings too, only it takes longer than when running at 4Ghz.

Also, I really appreciate the effort you've put in trying to help me. I've been exchanging emails with ASUS tech support since last night and I'm awaiting a reply, maybe I can RMA the board or processor? The way I see it this processor is listed as fully compatible with the motherboard so it shouldn't have any issues at all!

Yes, the CPU should be 100% supported without any hassle; it may be a board problem at this point. Considering you're not doing any overclocking, and since the board should be able to accept 125w TDP CPU's without a hitch, I can't think of any reason why this is occurring..unless I've been blind and I'm missing something obvious.

The CPU shouldn't need an RMA, they RARELY have problems :) It's more likely a board issue at this point...

pepsibottle1

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Make sure you disable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOSi; this will throttle down the CPU. There were some other states I had to disable, can't remember them off the top of my head. Once you do that, you should be staying steady.

You also mentioned running at 50C with water. That's also perfectly normal under load. For this chip, 61 is where you want to start getting concerned.

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I know this thread is kind of old but I threw the stock heat sink on to see if maybe the cooler is an issue. Temps get a lot higher than before, up to 64 (that's when I shut the test down) but no throttling whatsoever. Not sure why but I might buy another cooler, as that seems to be the issue here...

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I believe I've figured out what was causing the problem. Something on the board (mosfets or chipset) were overheating. Pointed a big fan right at them and now there is no throttling whatsoever! Evidently this board isn't the best and I will replace it eventually but this solution works for now. Thanks everyone for your help :)

masterelyt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Went a little further regarding cooling these VRMs, I bought little heatsinks from a shop in town and cut them to size. They stick on with some sort of adhesive. These heatsinks coupled with the airflow from the new fan mean that these VRMs stay nice and cool now, I guess when the board was tested by ASUS they used the stock air cooler, had they used the water cooling they would have experienced the same issues I did. Here is a picture of the heat sinks if anyone is interested:

16c3rbd.jpg

Oh and the heatsinks match the colour scheme of my motherboard, bonus. :)