GTX 580 display cut out on startup

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
So I've just built my first pc, and installed the os and everything fine when using the integrated graphics of the mobo, but after installing the drivers for the gtx580 gpu and try to boot using it, the display cuts out right after the "starting windows" screen... Any suggestions as to how I could fix this? I'm thinking it's the 600w power supply (below), but I've been seeing posts from people who claim this is at least adequate.

CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: nvidia geforce gtx 580
x2 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (8GB total)
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200rpm
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x Blu-ray Player
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Build (600w)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I know those answers probably are basic, but on some cases...
are you sure you plugged your monitor to the GPU instead of the motherboard?
have you connected both PCI 6+2 pins to the gpu?

that corsair 600w psu is very good and should handle the 580, but maybe the psu is with some problem not allowing it to handle the 580, or maybe the 580 is not working, if you have another PSU to test what is happening would be good, or another computer to test the gpu only.

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
yeah, it's definitely plugged into the gpu, and both PICE 6+2 pins are firmly connected to the gpu. The system does detect the gpu, and again, it does actually work up until "Starting Windows".
I've also tested it recently with an xfx pro 850w psu, but the problem still appears.
I don't actually have any way of testing the gpu in another computer, but yeah, that could well be the issue.
I know it's a bit of a last chance, but is it at all possible that the computer could be booting up in a resolution that the gpu doesn't support?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
lol. could be, but what happens to the gpu after the starting windows appear? does the coolers still working? change speed? the screen just goes black, or the monitor loses signal?

Try starting windows with integrated GPU, change resolution to a basic one. and try again.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
My guess is that the video card is simply defaulting to the wrong resolution, or your iGpu is yanking control away from the GTX.

First, go into your bios, search around and disable the integrated graphics.

If it still doesn't work, power down, power back up, and repeatedly hit f5 until you get a boot menu. After that, there is a key (f8 i think, but not sure, read the screen) to get advanced boot options. Press that, and choose safe mode; windows will boot with a crappy resolution, which should confirm your card is fine. You can try adjusting your resolution while in safe mode, but I don't remember if it will stay that way (been a while since I've actually troubleshooted a resolution issue).
It's also possible, you are somehow outputting video to a non-existent monitor in windows, during boot the windows screen get's pushed out to all displays typically, after that each display becomes independent and if your stuck outputting to a display that doesn't exist, you won't see anything.

There may be another advanced boot option for forcing the resolution to change in normal mode as well, so you can give that a shot if changing it in safe mode didn't work.

My guess is that all your hardware is fine, the GPU works ok until windows loads drivers.

edit: How is your display connected to the GPU (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP?), and what is your display (monitor, hdtv, sandwich)?

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Gpu coolers keep going at the same rate, and the monitor just loses signal completely.
also tried booting up in the two lowest resolutions possible but nothing :S

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
^^^oops, my bad

Ok, so it DOES boot in safe mode using the gpu (so the card should be alright, right?)
The resolution is in 800x600 by default in safe mode.
As for the advanced boot option, there IS an option to boot up in low res (640x480) (on the screen that allows you to select safe mode, not in the bios), was that what you were meaning?
My other options here are to:
enable boot logging,
last known good configuration,
directory services restore mode,
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement
Start windows normally :p

The display is an hdtv connected via hdmi cable to the gpu (and vga for when I use the igpu)

Sorry but I really should have mentioned I'm using a p8z68-v/gen3 asus board (hence the efi bios)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ok, you don't have both VGA and HDMI connected to the TV do you? And you have the proper input selected onthe TV? Try selecting the VGA in instead of HDMI when the signal cuts out, it could be it's just going through VGA in windows but you see the boot up on both outputs.

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I do have both VGA and HDMI connected, to the tTV, but the VGA is connected to the mobo, and the HDMI is connected to the GPU. I've just tried switching between VGA and HDMI after the monitor stops recieving signal, and neither channel is recieving any input.

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
ok, what you said about it thinking there was another display: spot on!
When I go into resolution, it detects 2 screens, somehow... when I click "extend these displays" the desktop appears on the hdmi channel (leading to teh gpu) and the extended bit appears on the vga channel... trying to make the hdmi one the only desktop, but it's proving challenging :p

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Just to confirm, you tried turning off the integrated GPU and the problem persisted, correct?

Try out the low-res mode, and see if that works for you, I've never used it before, but it sounds as though it will load your video drivers (i.e. it's not a form of safe mode, it's a normal mode with lowered resolution). If it doesn't work in this mode, reboot, disable your iGPU from BIOS (also make sure PCI-e is selected as the boot vga device), then uninstall the intel and nvidia drivers, reboot and reinstall just the nvidia.

SpyCop

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Dear friends,

I'm with this same problem!!!

I formated my PC, and when I install the nvidia driver and restart my computer, the video signal goes down after the black screen "Starting Windows".

My config:
MOBO EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED3 - BRAND NEW
PROC INTEL CORE I7 980X - WATERCOOLED
12 GB 1600 DDR3 CORSAIR DOMINATOR RAM
EVGA GTX 580 WATERCOOLED
SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD 256GB

I can't boot my PC under Windows 7 and Windows 8!
When Windows try to start up the vga driver, the video signal goes down.

I JUST TRIED EVERYTHING!

I can only start Windows 7 on safe mode!

I just changed my MOBO last weekend. Before that, all parts of my PC is fine. The mobo is brand new.

Please, I need help!

Thank you.

CrayonMuncher

Honorable
May 10, 2012
do you use dual monitors?

Might just be an issue of which display the gpu is outputting to, as it was for me since I had been using the VGA output of my mobo before I installed the gpu.

The thing that sorted it for me was as simple as right clicking on the desktop, going to "Screen Resolution" and setting the correct display. :D

synthaxterror

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,
I have similar problems.

My computer has the following parts:

Mob: GA-Z68XP UD3
Frame: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance/1600MHz

CPU IVY Bridge 3770K (Intel HD 4000)

GPU (Intel HD 4000) | Asus GTX 580 DirectCU ii (New)

Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

HDD: Seagate 1TB | 1TB Hitaschi

PSU: 950W Chiftec | 80 Plus Silver

---------------------------------

Background History: I've built my pc in an old PowerMac G5 chassis and therefore has had to plug in my GPU via two Molex to PCI-E 6 pin adapter.
(The adapter has two molex connectors into one PCI-E 6 pin connector., And I have two adapters to provide the GPU with power (2 - 6/Pin on GPU).

GPU works: The fans go, LEDs turn green on the GPU. I get the signal from the card and can go into the BIOS and start Windows in Safe Mode.

Intel HD 4000 graphics is disabled in BIOS.
GTX 580 is correctly installed in the motherboard.

But Windows freezes after the splash-screen at startup.
My screen is just black after the windows splash screen.
---------------

When I enable Intel HD 4000, so start Windows normally.
I can install the latest Nvidia drivers, no problems.
Windows Device Manager detects GTX 580 with Intel HD 4000. (I have tried to disable 4000 HD in Device Manager: same result).
(I have also tested all this in Safe Mode : No result)
-------------
Windows Update wants to update the NVIDIA Graphics Adapter something, but fails.

Same thing with the Intel Graphics adapter in windows update, but fails (perhaps because the Windows 7 OEM version?)
-----------------
After that i restored Windows, installed Nvidia drivers, starting with the oldest available, and worked my way up to the latest driver = Same Result, freezes on splash screen.
--------------
The display (Apple Cinema Display 23 inch) Works, and I have tried to connect it with both DVI and HDMI (HDMI adapter).

The screen works with both DVI and HDMI with the Intel 4000 HD in Windows 7 Normal Mode/Safe/Bios etc.
The screen works with both DVI and HDMI, with GPU (GTX 580) in Bios, Windows Safe Mode.
---------------------
Everything else works on the computer: RAM, HDD, Sound, Fans, Power: I Checked!
---------------------
- I think it's a driver issue.
- I do not think it helps to install windows again. (Have read others who tried, without success).
-------------

Anyone know if it is possible to remove the intel HD 4000 Driver, and if it is the one that stops windows from starting?