Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$700-$800 Gaming PC (Canadian Prices)

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 8:46:05 PM

My first attempt at a custom build. Here we go!

Approximate Purchase Date: The next few days (unless I get wind of some sort of impending sale).

Budget Range: $700-800 CDN

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mostly, possibly some video editing (but not a priority)

Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor. Possibly not even video card for the time being if I can get away with my old GeForce 9800 GT (stop laughing).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Canada Computers or TigerDirect.ca (they have retail outlets in my city)

Parts Preferences: I'd like to use Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge.

Overclocking: Probably not, unless I can be talked into it...

SLI or Crossfire: No, unless I can somehow use this to get more use out of my GeForce 9800GT

Based on some light research on building a modest gaming rig I've put together a part list at http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/bk9U (and copied it below):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.88 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.88 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($19.88 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($105.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Total: $758.50
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I've left the video card out as I'm somewhat foolishly hoping to still get some use out of my 9800GT for a few months at least, but I'm certainly open to options. As for the rest of the components, I'm not attached to any of these particular makes or models, this is just a starting point that hopefully I can refine with your help!
July 3, 2012 9:38:26 PM

What games and what resolution? Obviously you are using your 9800 at the moment and it must be working out for you.

If you are primarily gaming, you could lose the SSD and since you are not overclocking, you can drop the Hyper 212. That would leave you with ~$180 for a GPU. You could get a 560 or a 6870 for that.
m
l
July 3, 2012 10:15:50 PM

I mostly play strategy games and a few RPGs, so I'm not looking for fast framerates for an FPS or anything like that. I'll want to play Rome II Total War when it comes out, and Civ V would have some texture loading issues with my previous setup, so I'm not against getting a decent video card down the road if I can squeeze out a bit of use of my old one now.

I think my monitor only supports up to 1680x1050 (DCLCD 20.1").
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 10:18:32 PM

Oh, and on losing the SSD - is it really not of much use for gaming? I'm intrigued by lightning fast boot ups it offers and was under the impression that it would speed up a few games that I did decide to stick on there (loading times and whatnot).
m
l

Best solution

July 3, 2012 10:41:24 PM

The SSD will help load all programs faster. When it comes to multiplayer gaming the maps load really fast.

For example, when I play a game like tf2, I am always the first in the map, but that doesn't matter anyway because you have to wait for everyone else anyway.

I don't ever suggest dropping an SSD, because in my opinion they are worth it for all around pc usage, but I would rather have a nice GPU for gaming. In your case though, you might be able to stick with your 9800.
July 11, 2012 2:07:54 AM

Best answer selected by rutigerpupkin.
m
l
!