Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do i need a upgrade for HD-4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2012 12:24:59 PM

Hi My system specs is: intel core i5 2500k, Gigabyte ga-P67A UD7 B3, corsair vengeance 8gb @1600mhz, segete baracuda 1TB and MSI HD-4850 512MB.
I play games at 1360 X 768 as it is my max resolution. I dont have any near plans to change my monitor. Recently i played games like Crysis-2, Elder scroll Skyrim, Battlefield-3, Darkness-2 and Call of duty MW-3. All games are running fine with out any problem on Max setting(with out DX-11 features). I am getting average 30-40 FPS in all the games. For sometime I am thinking of upgrading my GPU. If i will upgrade my GPU then my bugget will be $300-$400. I just want to know do I need a upgrade for this resolution now or 4850 with do its work for some months ? Because don't see any reasons of upgrade now.

More about : upgrade 4850

a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 12:27:07 PM

Yes, you should get a more powerful GPU but only if you upgrade your monitor. Without a high-res screen, there's no point in a too powerful system. Even that 2500k seems a bit overkill.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 1:03:14 PM

Sure you can upgrade - as you said, you're getting decent framerates, but DX11 is nice, and 60fps is great. Though anything over an HD 7850 would be overkill (not to mention overpriced), as it will max any game on ultra at your res. If you have no problems with your current monitor, then keep it - the most important component at lower-resolutions is your CPU and you've got one of the strongest ones out there.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 1:55:08 PM

The question is, are you hoping we talk you into buying, or that we talk you out of buying? :) 

If you're hoping we talk you into buying:
You would see a performance bump from even a 7770, but if you want to run the card for another 4 years, I'd go for the 7850 (or 7870 if you think you'll upgrade your monitor in that timeframe and want to future proof). However, if you're on the fence about the purchase, wait another month, since nvidia is nearing the launch of their midrange cards they may offer better values and/or force AMD prices down in 78xx series.

If you're hoping to be talked out of buying:
There is nothing wrong with being happy with what you've already got. If 30fps doesn't bother you, then why bother; if you wait 3 months you'll likely save 50$ or so, if you wait a year you'll probably have access to the 8xxx and 7xx series and have a better upgrade at your price-point. You'll also have a better idea if/when you'll want to upgrade monitors so you can buy the appropriate card.
m
l
May 10, 2012 2:47:21 PM

Hey!

You should get a 7850, at that resolution you don't need that munch gpu power. At that resolution a 7850 should allow you to play your games on max settings with at least average of 50-60 fps.
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:41:07 AM

After reading all this.. I am thinking of buying a new monitor and a good strong GPU which should be able to run all games on max setting at 1080p for at least 3-4 years, which MSI HD 4850 has done for me from last-4 years. Because on 2008-09 4850 was a champ and still it has a good run in my rig. Like i said my budget for GPU will be $400. if i consider i can manage $430-$450 max not more then that. please suggest me some good GPU. Currently i am having a 500W PSU. do i need to change that also ?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 7:51:06 AM

jeet_shek said:
After reading all this.. I am thinking of buying a new monitor

I'm glad you do. Sticking at 1366x768 is fine for the last 4 years. But now is the time of triple monitors & monster resolutions. 1920x1080 is a good start. You vision will be expanded & you will see more of the game's landscape.

jeet_shek said:
Like i said my budget for GPU will be $400. if i consider i can manage $430-$450 max not more then that. please suggest me some good GPU. Currently i am having a 500W PSU. do i need to change that also ?

Your budget of $450 could get you top of the line from both AMD & nVidia. But at 1920x1080, it will be overkill. You could settle for a 7850 ($260) and use the remainder of your budget for a good 5.1 sound system or an SSD (if you still do not have these). These will certainly enhance your gaming experience. You can use the old 1366x768 monitor as a control center & display other things while you are gaming. Your PSU should be fine too. If it powered the 4850, it will power the 7850. The 7850 requires 1x6pin PCIe connector only.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 12:09:44 PM

jeet_shek said:
After reading all this.. I am thinking of buying a new monitor and a good strong GPU which should be able to run all games on max setting at 1080p for at least 3-4 years, which MSI HD 4850 has done for me from last-4 years. Because on 2008-09 4850 was a champ and still it has a good run in my rig. Like i said my budget for GPU will be $400. if i consider i can manage $430-$450 max not more then that. please suggest me some good GPU. Currently i am having a 500W PSU. do i need to change that also ?

What kind of PSU do you have? AMD states that the 7850 requires a 500w PSU, so it's likely that it's fine, but if you've got a cheapo you may wanna upgrade. How many 12V rails and what current do they supply?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 1:43:52 PM

jeet_shek said:
After reading all this.. I am thinking of buying a new monitor and a good strong GPU which should be able to run all games on max setting at 1080p for at least 3-4 years, which MSI HD 4850 has done for me from last-4 years. Because on 2008-09 4850 was a champ and still it has a good run in my rig. Like i said my budget for GPU will be $400. if i consider i can manage $430-$450 max not more then that. please suggest me some good GPU.

The new GTX 670 is the best card for $400 - but you'll have a hard time getting your hands on one. I suspect AMD will be dropping the price of their HD 79xx cards in response, so you could wait a few weeks and get a better card at $400. Though even the HD 7950 would last you several years in games.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:44:22 AM

I was also thinking of getting a GTX-670. considering the price and performance its a good deal. In online stores it is almost out of stock. Will it be available in retail shops ? Basically I am from India. For a software development project I will be traveling soon to Portland for 2 months. On that case i was planning to get on GTX-670 from there it self, as it is almost $549 in India.

But I have some doubts.
1. Will I be able to get the warranty on GTX-670 in India too ? And I wont be able to perform a test on it as long as I will come back to my home.

2. Will it work fine ? As it is just lunched, I am unable to put faith on it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 1:21:50 PM

I don't think you would be able to get warranty support for a card purchased in America and taken overseas; but I'm not 100% sure. I would recommend finding some way to test the card you purchase before going home (maybe find a gamer amongst your coworkers and see if he is willing to use the card for a day or two, as long as his PC can support the power requirements).

Otherwise, if you purchase from a computer store, simply explain the situation and see if they will run the card on their bench system for a few minutes to make sure it is not a complete DOA. Alternatively, you could probably pay a computer shop to test the card that you bought from newegg or something, but that eats into the money you are going to save.

It would be a risk to count on the warranty, and there certainly is the chance you could wind up with a bad card, so be wary.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 2:55:23 PM

You won't need a GTX 670 if you don't buy a higher resolution monitor. At your resolution, a 6850 will be enough to max out most games out there.
m
l
May 28, 2012 6:34:49 AM

auntarie said:
You won't need a GTX 670 if you don't buy a higher resolution monitor. At your resolution, a 6850 will be enough to max out most games out there.

As I mentioned above, I will upgrade both monitor and GPU.
m
l
May 28, 2012 6:36:01 AM

djscribbles said:
I don't think you would be able to get warranty support for a card purchased in America and taken overseas; but I'm not 100% sure. I would recommend finding some way to test the card you purchase before going home (maybe find a gamer amongst your coworkers and see if he is willing to use the card for a day or two, as long as his PC can support the power requirements).

Otherwise, if you purchase from a computer store, simply explain the situation and see if they will run the card on their bench system for a few minutes to make sure it is not a complete DOA. Alternatively, you could probably pay a computer shop to test the card that you bought from newegg or something, but that eats into the money you are going to save.

It would be a risk to count on the warranty, and there certainly is the chance you could wind up with a bad card, so be wary.

Thanx for the info. After some conformations I will going buy either GTX 670 or HD 7950 from a local shop as i dont want to take risk

m
l
May 28, 2012 9:59:24 AM

Best answer selected by jeet_shek.
m
l
!