Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - can't get 2nd HD to show up

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 9:23:07 PM

Greetings,

Fairly green at building new systems so hopefully there is a simple solution to my problem (and I just don't know how to do it!).

New system build:

Core i5-2500k
MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU: Asus 560 Ti
8 GB G Skill RAM

I installed a 128 GB SSD from OCZ and had no problems. Windows 7 installed great, ran all the updates, etc...

Before taking a system image I wanted to also install a Seagate 1TB storage drive the system would be using (and I would put the SSD system image on it). I did not have the Seagate 1TB drive hooked up to the MB initially as I wanted to make sure Win 7 installed on the SSD.

The Seagate 1 TB drive is a 6GB/s 32 MB Cache drive and I have it connected to the 6GB/s port on the MB. The other 6GB/s port is where the SSD is connected. I have the optical drive connected to the 3GB/s port.

When I go into the BIOS the boot order shows the Optical and the SSD, no 1TB storage drive showing up.

In Win 7 Device Manager the 1TB drive is listed.

When I go to My Computer - I see the C: drive as the SSd but no other HD (the 1TB drive is missing).

From what I can tell Windows has recognized the 1TB drive as being installed/hooked up but it's not giving me access to it.

Suggestions?

On page 3-18 of the MB manual, section 3.5.3 of SATA Configuration it talked about the drives showing up - and it does list the 1 TB drive here. S.M.A.R.T Status check for both the SSD and 1TB drive is defaulted to "Disabled" - do I need to Enable this for the storage drive to show up? I was not sure what that was so didn't mess with it. Also the "Hot Plug" is disabled - do I need to Enable this for the 1TB drive to show?

Hopefully that all made sense - sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for any help.

BigJeff

More about : build 2nd show

Best solution

July 3, 2012 9:27:17 PM

Did you partition it? Go into Disk Management and you should see the drive. It will say something like "unpartitioned space". You need to add a partition.
July 3, 2012 10:12:38 PM

cranked said:
Did you partition it? Go into Disk Management and you should see the drive. It will say something like "unpartitioned space". You need to add a partition.

I did not partition it.

Where do I find Disk Management? Is that in the BIOS or Win 7 or?

Thanks.
Related resources
July 3, 2012 11:13:58 PM

Best answer selected by Big Jeff.
July 3, 2012 11:14:44 PM

That did the trick, tyvm!

I kept going into device manager, probably why I could not find it.
December 31, 2012 3:50:50 AM

You must have bought the same exact bare bones kit as me. I had a the same problem and the solution worked for me, too. However, I accidently created a spare volume on my 1 TB hard drive (350 MB) and don't know how to get rid of it now. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
!